Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two quick questions:

- I have heard of a clay bar being used for cleaning the windsield. A search did not reveal anything. Is this the same clay bar that is used for cleaning S&*( off paint.

- During a wind storm this winter a numbers of ashfault shingles landed on and scrated my finish. The damage looks very light and shallow. Would compound work to at least partially remove the clear coat scratches without having to repaint?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
220 Posts
autopia.org

Do a search, sit back and a few hours later you'll know all there is to know. Great place for detailing info. 8)

***EDIT***

To answer your questions, yes same claybar.
And
Remove scratches by starting with the least abrasive method that you think will do the job. I learned that from autopia. :D

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Seini,

You don't need rubbing compound to remove light scratches. If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail, just hand polish should do the trick. It should fully remove the scratches. Rubbing compound is for serious problems, and will remove a lot of your paint in short order, and you would need to follow up w/ lighter-duty polish anyway.

SirWired

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
A pure polish will not remove scratches or swirls, it only fortifies the paint to bring out color and shine. You'll need something with a little grit. Rubbing compound is probably too heavy. If you use both the fingernail and least abrasive rules above, youll be safe. Look for a swirl remover, which is a polish with a very light grit (much less abrasive than rubbing compound).

Given that the scratches are not swirl marks, but made by a shingle hitting it, I'd guess you may be past a DIY. If you can feel it when dragging your fingernail over it (as suggested above) it's more than a polishing job.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
When I said "Polish", I meant the sort of stuff from Griot's Garage. They refer to their waxes as "wax", and their abrasives as "Polish". This is the case with most metal/glass products. (i.e. silver, brass, and glass polish). I suspect we are talking about the same thing, just with different names.

SirWired

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Seini
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing