Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/21/2012-honda-civics-2011-new-york/

Honda brought the whole family of 2012 Civics to the party at this year's New York Auto Show. We've gotten to feast our eyes on the coupe, sedan, Si, hybrid and natural gas-drinking GX. That's a lot of new sheetmetal to look at, so we decided to pack them all in one post to make it easy on you.

The 2012 Civic coupe, sedan and GX are all powered by a 1.8-liter inline four-cylinder engine that produces 140 horsepower. In uber-efficient HF guise, the same engines is capable of returning 41 miles per gallon fuel economy on the highway. The standard coupe and sedan are nearly as frugal at 39 mpg on the highway. We'll have a separate report on the new Civic Hybrid soon, but in the meantime know that it will be rated at 44 mpg combined, an improvement of 4 mpg over last year's model.

Were it our money on the line, however, we'd trade a few miles per gallon for a bit more driving excitement. The 2012 Honda Civic Si would be our choice, with its new 200-horsepower/170 pound-feet of torque 2.4-liter four-cylinder. Still, this is a compact Honda and, when paired with the six-speed manual gearbox, the Civic Si achieves 31 miles per gallon on the highway.

You can check out all of the new Civics in the galleries below. After that, take a dive into Honda's official press release after the jump.

Look at that dash, the only thing I've seen in recent year with greasier plastic surfaces were the childrens tables at McDonalds. :worky:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
We are well into 2011, so isn't this a 2012 model?
the interior looks cheap for a Honda, results of some cost cutting?
the coupe looks decent, but the sedan looks bland and dated.

I much prefer the new Hyundai Elantra.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As much as I can't see myself buying a hyundai/kia, purely because people would see me in a hyundai/kia,

That new Sonata actually looks pretty dang good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Is this the car that time forgot?

That is one of the most bland, uninspired, plastic encrusted interiors I've seen in a long time. The exterior is no better. It may be the K-car of it's day.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

That is one of the most bland, uninspired, plastic encrusted interiors I've seen in a long time. The exterior is no better. It may be the K-car of it's day.
Could not have said it better myself. I also saw some cross tour in the rear end. Although that engine looks mighty easy to perform maintenance on :whistle:

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
saw a commercial for the SI last night....crap. I like the seats...that's about it.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Damn Newman, you f-ed up another thread title. I'll fix it like I did the Subie one.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Coupe no. Sedan yes.

The interior, for you haters, is MILES better than any Passat I've ever been in. Yes, it's plastic, but it fits well, is easy to disassemble and work on, and best of all, is incredibly ergonomic. It's not the prettiest interior, I'll agree, but as I can tell you first -hand, it's not all about pretty. My A4s interior is worlds better looking than my M3 was but the M3 interior was more comfortable and more functional.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Coupe no. Sedan yes.

The interior, for you haters, is MILES better than any Passat I've ever been in. Yes, it's plastic, but it fits well, is easy to disassemble and work on, and best of all, is incredibly ergonomic. It's not the prettiest interior, I'll agree, but as I can tell you first -hand, it's not all about pretty. My A4s interior is worlds better looking than my M3 was but the M3 interior was more comfortable and more functional.
:rofl: Yes, if it were 1994 this Civic would have a better interior. However, as compared to anything built in the last decade it's a clear loser.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
You laugh, I owned one of everything I mentioned, an 07 Si, '10 M3, '11 A4. I'm not basing my opinion on pics on the interwebz. Best seats, Si. And it's not even close. Best steering. Si. And it's not even close. Ergonomics, Si and m3 are pretty much a dead heat. Pretty, A4. Handling, A4 for DD, M3 on the track. Functional, A4 by a mile. Mileage, Si by a hair over the A4.

Interior quality - The Si isn't better than the A4, but it IS better than most of VWs lineup as well as the A3. It also works...all the time. There's something to be said for your electronics working all the time. I don't know what that something is...but it's what I hear. ;)

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts

My thought's exactly... specifically, all the interior textures and materials are late 80's econo-car. Sitting in that thin would be a time warp. You'd think you were in an Acura Integra or Del Sol.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Not class, not crass. Just ok. Looks like a Kia Forte on the outside, with older Camry taillights. Inside is just plain and inoffensive.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts

Ditto. Might purchase one for $7k or less.

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,261 Posts
Perfect example of a Honda, looks like a bland POS but it will take whatever you throw at it.

I'll take a Passat, or any German vehicle over it any day.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I've owned 2 old Hondas, a Shuttle and Accord. Horrible older vehicles for me. My Passat is holding up much better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts