Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro's 2k civic has white smoke coming out of the battery, and can smell that something is burning, so he replaced the ground wire, replaced the battery, and it's still doing the same thing. White smoke only upon the first 20-30 sec of the start, and headlight will burn out immediately when headlight is turn on. Only the passenger side headlight is burning out. even though the smoke went away after 20-30 sec or so, however you can still smell that something is burning while driving it.

what to look?

Car has 80k mileage, and have been the owner since it was 30k.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
maybe the voltage regulator in the alternator is bad.
got a volt meter?
it should not go higher than 14

check the starter and battery cables, one might be loose.
that is all my tired brain can think of right now.
good luck!...be careful that battery does not explode!!!!!!!!!

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
x2, yea, sounds like the voltage regulator is toast.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
That's not smoke, that's steam. Normal for cars to emit steam.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
daym, Civic has 2 different type fo alternator too. 165 and 170 amp... how much should this job cost by a indy?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
haha, take a deep breath of the smoke from the battery. If your Eyes burn and you lose your sense of smell followed by passing out it is bad. If you do not pass out and has no ill effect it is steam and is normal. haha. DO NOT ACTUALLY TRY THAT.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
oh man, majinbuu just called me saying that he's in the hospital bcz of what you said, and he ask me to post here, hes gona sue yor ass... hahahahaha

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$333 later, got a bosch re-man alternator installed. is it a good price? the re-man alternator is $225 as invoice shown.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
That's too bad. You should buy a BMW, they never break down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts