Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Briefly as possible, came across brand new key fob at Pull-A-Part with the same geometry as mine, both 2001.5s. So swapped circuit board and key, BUT forgot to swap chip (glass capsule). Fast forward a week, car has been readied for summer so today I go to fire it up (hasn't been started since before new fob) and it starts; v'room-dead, v'room-dead, v'room-dead, check all the relay with my 'cover off' spare relays, all good, well after about 10 or so tries I bob my head up and see immobilizer light flashing....what ? then the dreaded realization, the "chip" THE CHIP, I forgot in my excitement of prepping my new fob (with the shiny blue and chrome logo) to transfer the chip. So I put board, popped key roll pin and put it as well back in the 'ol fob, but car is still stuck in the immobilizer. Million dollar question, how do I get it out of immobilizer ? Original key is right.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Are you sure the chip is OK? I've hit immobilizer a few time when swapping ECM's etc and it always worked normally after the problem was fixed. Maybe you need to wait a certain amount of time for the system to reset.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure the chip is OK? I've hit immobilizer a few time when swapping ECM's etc and it always worked normally after the problem was fixed. Maybe you need to wait a certain amount of time for the system to reset.
chip never came out of the top half (where the key folds) just the key/retained by pin, all the locks work up down etc. Not sure that the circuit board in lower half of fob works in concert with or independently from the chip(glass capsule) CCM seems cool since car locks. ECU seems to have registered a fault (immobilizer).Got a code about ECM but could not delete. I want to think as you do that it will time out and reset.Hope would be a more appropriate word,ha. I did not check to see if fob's door locking function works without chip. Thought I understood this crap but looks like I got "passated" Now you have me thinking, second guessing myself.........the whole time after correctly reassembling the fob I had the hood up/unlatched....maybe all functions have to be secured... thank you

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The glass capsule (RFID chip) is the only thing needed for immobilizer. (The valet key has no circuit board or battery.)

Make sure the "wrong" RFID chip is well out of range, although that should only be inches.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks in advance, my fob has the RFID capsule/chip in the half with the key and the other half with the battery and circuit board. This A.M. (per internet/google directive) pressed and held the "panic/alarm" button for five seconds, then pressed the lock button twice, then walked away, actually went to work......tomorrow I am off so will see if that procedure worked. Curiously when I pressed panic button nothing happened not even a peep, but the doors locked. I have a pretty decent understanding of electronics but the "fob" is an enigma/black magic at this point. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have my "Fresco" up and running, will keep you posted. Didn't "Cuppie" do reprogramming if it gets to that point ?

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
The buttons, PCB, and battery in the fob and the CCM are all parts of the Comfort Control System, and are in no way related to the immobiliser.
If you have the right key, and the RFID chip in it has been matched to the car, the engine should start and continue to run.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The buttons, PCB, and battery in the fob and the CCM are all parts of the Comfort Control System, and are in no way related to the immobiliser.
If you have the right key, and the RFID chip in it has been matched to the car, the engine should start and continue to run.
Thank you Tom for clarification to the fobs two independent functions. It started with correct (original) fob after I cleared the "immobilizer" fault code. Funny thing is I had previously checked with Ross-Tech VCDS when it initially would not start with the wrong RFID and only had a "intermittent brake booster" Regardless, your expertise is appreciated, now if the weather would only cooperate. Snow again with salt on the roads. Parked BUT running !

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
If you want to swap RFID chips, you can dissolve the glue with "nail polish remover" or acetone.
Take care, the RFID is fragile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts