Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get Chrysler. If you're dead set on creating a fuel efficient Hyrbrid, you don't do it on pump gas with more larger cylinders. You do it with less cylinders and diesel fuel. High torque, low heat, better life and improved efficiency. With the new diesel technology I don't understand why they would even entertain this.

Am I missing something?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/suvs/durango-and-aspen-getting-hybrid-v8-hemi-power/

· Registered
8,439 Posts
If you cast a line into every pond, eventually you'll catch something.

I just don't think that encouraging more power with slight efficiency increases* is the right strategy long-term. What you're saying to the market is "we want you to keep driving as much--or even MORE--with the same net effect to the environment and your wallet".

Birmingham was just listed as the 4th most air polluted city in the US (in good company with LA, Detroit, Pittsburgh...), and trust me it's not because of factories. It's all the driving. :banghead:

(*40% more efficient? I'll believe it when I see the real-world numbers)

· Registered
1,109 Posts
That news is about, oh, 3 years old.
And what about negative comments about GM's Hybrid full-size pickups? Similar gains there, too.[/QUOTE

Same goes for GM and Lexus. The lexus SUV Hybrid only accomplishes a small gain in MPG.
But it does allow you to drive an inefficient car and still be a self-righteous bastard about driving a "hybrid" and saving the environment.

It may sound dumb to make V8 hybrids, but on the other hand, if American consumers were actually concerned about the environment or energy independence, we could all drive cars with less power. I mean, does anyone really NEED a 306hp Infiniti G35? I'm sure 90% of buyers would be fine with 150hp. Nevertheless, the HP number sells cars to American buyers and they'd sell far fewer diesel hybrids than V8 hybrids. Undoubtedly, they'll find idiots willing to pay a $3-5K premium for an extra 1-2mpg. These are the same people who buy a Prius and assume it gives an instant return on investment.

The sole purpose of this is to make the term "V8" acceptable by placing the term "hybrid" after it. Plus, the old EPA test they use will make it look like an ingenious idea. If they get the EPA rating into the 20s, it will look as efficient as other V6 cars on the market (regardless of what it actually gets).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.