Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crhomed windows marks PASSAT 2002 for PASSAT 1998
it is difficult?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I think you're asking if you can put chrome trim from a B5.5 on a B5.
It has been done, and it's expensive.
I'll look for the writeup.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Do B5 & B5.5 have the same window shape? I'm the opposite of you guys, I have a silver '03 variant and want to get rid of all my chrome. I dislike chrome so much I almost bought a used '01... (although it does look sharp on some of the darker colors)
I already got rid of the chrome on the bumpers and doors (front bumper pieces were painted during Dietrich RS4 install, door pieces were replaced with '01 pieces and painted, and the whole rear end was replaced with a dietrich unit). Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the chrome around the windows... anyone know what it might cost to replace the chrome & rubber trim around the windows with the older black trim??

·
Registered
152 Posts
mdtoney...

To de-chrome the door trim, were your forced to go find '01 pieces...or did you look at the option of de-chroming your stock trim (painting it, or removing the chrome "filler" strip)?

Meanwhile, I have looked at the bumper strip pieces and it looks like they could almost be taken off, period.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Gregger - the trim pieces that run along the door are $20 per door to replace. I bought the older pieces, they're the same shape so I had them painted and installed. The crome is part of the plastic strip, not put on top of it, if you removed the chrome from the strip there would be a groove where it used to go. Since the front corners are a different shape on the older cars I just had mine painted - For $100 front/$100 rear I could have bought the Euro-look black textured pieces, then had them sanded and painted to match the car. The body shop told me that the bumper strip pieces were a HUGE pain to get off and the way they're designed they leave a big hole in the bumper, so you can't just take them off, you have to put something else in there. I'm getting used to just having crome around the windows so I may save my money...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Excellent grille MDtoney, which one is it? What badge is on the right (can't make it out). Did the body shop paint the grill surround at the same time as the trim?

Ok...so tell me if I have your suggested battle plan right:

1) Buy replacement trim for each door (comes unpainted, right?) 4 x $20

2) Have bumper trim painted (in place) by body shop; also have them paint and install the new door trime

3) Forgot about the windows (actually, I'm with you...it's not as "unnatural" to have chrome along the glass, which is reflective anyway, and which has been a tradition in cars forever)

Sorry for all the dumb questions! :p

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Gregger - It's a Kamei grille. The body shop painted the grille, lower front cowling, front bumper guards, door molding strips, the trim under the door, and the rear bumper all at the same time.
The door trim strips come unpainted (flat black) so the body shop will need to prep and paint them. The same with the trim underneath the door - they'll have to remove the pieces, sand them smooth, then prime and paint them.
The body shop will also need to remove the bumper trim pieces, then prime and paint them.
I can't wait to see it when you get it done!!

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
The trim is expensive, i have to get one of the peices on my window replaced since it is curved out, not sure why. And this is just one window bottom peice and it is ~$70 so there are 4 doors, and then the curved part is probably more. I dont think it is worth it :crazy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts