Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I've heard about people having this same issue, but damn if I can't find a good thread on how people have re-attached the flipping chrome window trim.

Like many of you I have a B5.5 that has chrome window trim, and the issue is that the rear window trim is lifting up a bit in the middle section of the trim. I really haven't looked into it that much yet but was wondering what other people out there have done to repair it. I don't want to buy new trim, just get it to stay down by either using double stick tape (seems like a lost cause for some reason), or using some type of adhesive. Does anyone have any suggestions that they have tried and has worked for them?

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
bump...I'm interested in this as well.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn! Three hits on this and it's just more people looking for a fix.:lol::lol:

Jason - I think you're screwed on the faded trim. I don't believe there's much to do to improve the look other than to replace it. It's unfortunately an issue that the B5.5's have had and most people seem to either just live with it or buy new trim to replace the ones fading. I have one that it's clouded up too, I just haven't brought myself to pay to replace it.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might show it but it might also be very vague on how it does come off. My concern isn't how to remove but how to re-adhere it back onto the window sill.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Damn! Three hits on this and it's just more people looking for a fix.:lol::lol:

Jason - I think you're screwed on the faded trim. I don't believe there's much to do to improve the look other than to replace it. It's unfortunately an issue that the B5.5's have had and most people seem to either just live with it or buy new trim to replace the ones fading. I have one that it's clouded up too, I just haven't brought myself to pay to replace it.
I'm not lookin for a quick fix. I was lookin for help finding the trim? Can find it anywhere. Not for the windows atleast

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you should look on www.1stvwparts.com. Wost case try giving them a call, since I didn't see the part jump out at me, I'm sure they sell the part, hell they're a flipping VW dealer here in Washington, but their prices are better than if you were to just walk into your local dealer. If nothing else just try to get a VW part number from someone and that will help a bit more.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Meanwhile - Does anyone have any experience sticking the chrome trim back into place?? :banghead:

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I think you should look on www.1stvwparts.com. Wost case try giving them a call, since I didn't see the part jump out at me, I'm sure they sell the part, hell they're a flipping VW dealer here in Washington, but their prices are better than if you were to just walk into your local dealer. If nothing else just try to get a VW part number from someone and that will help a bit more.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Meanwhile - Does anyone have any experience sticking the chrome trim back into place?? :banghead:
sorry to cut ur thread, but thanks 4 the help

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No issues Jayson, just trying to keep the main question up front and to the point. I just want someone to say they've tried some methods and what worked for them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry I have no experience removing the chrome or making it stick better but Baby Oil does wonders on the cloudy issue, just fyi.

And free bump.

Does anyone have any experience sticking the chrome trim back into place??

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to re-bump this since my fix to this issue was to just use some double stick tape but that isn't holding too well. So I'm back trying to figure this one out. I about ready to glue it down but if I do that it probably won't come off if I ever need it to (at least without damaging the door some).

So, anyone with some ideas on how to deal with this?

Has anyone purchased new chrome window trim to replace the old? If so where did you end up getting it and how much?

·
Registered
35 Posts
What about pulling all the chrome off and having them powder-coated?

Try a 2-part contact cement. Apply to each side, wait to dry, press together.

Ken

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
Ahem. The "chrome" plastic trim is aluminum with a transparent plastic coating. The plastic surface develops microscopic pitting or crazing over time (IMHO due to harsh carwash chemicals) that produces the cloudy look. Baby oil fills in the pitting, (temporarily) restoring the shine.

The solution is to refinish the plastic; it's similar to how you'd polish your headlights. Since the plastic coating is relatively thin, you have to do this by hand - too easy to go all the way through if you use power.

The product I used is Novus plastic polish. It comes in a set of three grades, and is a liquid slurry of abrasive particles. You put some #3 on a cloth, and rub along the trim. (I masked the surrounding areas in case my hand slipped).

It's labor intensive. You don't want to press too hard, you'll actually put scratches in; but you have to be firm. I worked in two-foot sections; the first step took about 10 minutes per section. When it was almost clear, switch to #2 until shiny. Then a minute or two with grade #1 to completely smooth the surface.

My 2004 was badly clouded; I figure it took me 3-4 hours over two days to go all the way around the window trim on both sides. (And boy, did I have blisters on my fingertips!) That was six months ago; my trim continues to look brand new with no further attention. To the extent that the dealer noticed, and asked me if I'd replaced the trim.

NOTE: I have no idea how to stick it back on. Mine didn't loosen, or budge a millimeter, during all that polishing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts