Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any body knows if there is any Part Number for that?
I would like to put it on doors and front but i don't know if this is a FRU.

Thanks in Advance!

Dias
Portugal

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just get 'em from Pepboys or something. Cut, trim, peel, and stick.

Be forewarned, though, my personal taste is if everything's not chrome, it looks bad. So, if you don't like mis-and-match, don't plan on adding many different parts to your interior. :weirdo: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I just did this last night.

There have been some earlier posts showing detailed instructions on how to do this. You need about 15 feet of 1/4" half-round chrome stick on trim. There were a few sources listed. I found that those listed on the internet weren't working, and the local PepBoys didn't carry it (only 3/8").

However, I did some searching and located another source! You can get it from www.jcsonlinetoolshed.com p/n PTT37-730. Total cost including shipping was $ 24.60 to Wichita. It was more expensive than some of the other sources indicated, but like I said, this was the only place I could find it at all.

Installation took about 30 minutes. It's pretty much peel and stick. I did have one small section just above and to the right of the center console where it didn't remain stuck. This was the most curved piece in the whole installation. The trim is somewhat stiff and it seems like it wants to straighten back out. I have plenty left to redo this piece entirely but first I'll attempt to restick what I already have cut. I think that heating the trim slightly before installing will help it learn and maintain a new shape a little better.

Overall looks pretty good. Had the wife in the car for the first time tonight. She didn't even notice. Good thing since I did not tell her I was going to do it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
I bought the strips from woodtrim.com

They have various types to choose from (wood, metal, synthetic metal).
Really? I would be tempted to redo mine in wood. :thumbup:

Can you point me to a p/n or where on their site? I can't find it.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Nevermind. Found them.

Hmmm... 85 bones though...

:sad:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed the 1/4" chrome half-round molding sold at sportwing http://www.sportwing.com/catalog/displaycat.pcgi?fm_catid=92&fm_subcatid=106 and it looks okay.

The problem is that 1/4" is a little too wide. I think 3/16" would be better. 1/4" works okay on the doors but is too wide to fit nicely inside the beltline groove across the dash. You end up having to stuff the molding in at an angle which ends up looking a little sloppy, IMHO.

In all the searching I've done, 1/4" is the smallest chrome half-round molding I can find. Has anybody come across a narrower strip?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
ecb5 said:
Do they sell only parts of a kit?
I only want 3 out of 16 parts from a kit

Not sure. I ended up getting my wood kit from a different place and still have half of it left. I didn't put the wood trim around the vents, steering wheel area, etc. If you get too carried away, it's hard on the eyes.

I bought the belt line trim from woodtrim.com in a group buy. Wanna say that the synthetic aluminum was about 50 bucks in the group buy.

Here's an interior shot of my B5.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
I would like to do that brushed aluminum, but it'd be hard to work the sandpaper in there and not damge the vinyl.

But then what would happen if I wanted chrome again? :sad:
Did you just say sand paper.

A few passes with a brand new scotch brite pad is all you need just make sure the passes go in a straight line go light until it is to your liking.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
i doubt the mirrors could take the sand paper. i've had mine for less than 2 months and they have pleny of chips already :(

(keep in mind i've driven close to 8,000 in those 2 months)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Meezy the chips are from the rocks that the front wheels kick up. The wider the tire the worse it is. Ever since I put on my Wheels I can't keep the mirrors clean and I am sure more of you have the same problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.