Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what cuased this but yesterday, when I opened the back door for my grandmother-in-law, the front part of the chrome on the rear door caught the back of the front door and got peeled back. I still had the front door open just slightly (I had gotten out and was closing my door). Maybe they were in just the right position to catch each other. So now I have a nice bent piece of chrome sticking out from my car. I called the dealer and they said to bring it over and they would look at it. So I did and the service guy tells me something like "oh yeah, we'll fix that. We'll need to replace the front and the rear. Let me find out if we have the parts or if we need to order them. Once I get them I'll have them painted and then call you to have you bring the car in so we can put them on. We'll need it for about 3 or 4 hours that day." I told him to let me know when he thought the parts would be ready. He never mentioned anything about charging me or that I would pay later or pay at all. I think he might be replaceing them for free. Has anybody else had this happen. Like I said, I never noticed anything wrong with the trim until I opened the door yesterday. I don't know if there was damage prior to opening the door, but I know that the majority of the damge (if not all of it) happened when the door opened and the trim caught the front door and got peeled back. I noticed the tolerances between the doors is very tight (one of the nice things about this car. fit and finish of the pieces is pretty damn nice. No huge gaps in the panels) but perhaps the trim was installed just a bit off. Seeing as how close the gap is already, I guess this could cause the two pieces to interfere and cause the damage. The only other thing I can think of is that somebody dinged that trim in a parking lot and it bent it out just slightly, but not enough for me to notice at first. Then when I opened the rear door the two pieces caught and did the rest of the damage. I don't know.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
sound weird to me, i hope you trust your dealer :suspicio:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definately trust them to fix the car. If I don't have to pay for it, it will be a bonus. I can't really say that there wasn't some sort of damage done in a parking lot that caused the peices to meet and get bent. I figured I was going to pay for it. I'll make sure to ask when he calls me back.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I would ask how much for parts, and then labor, just because even if you trust your dealership, there are places that specialize in body work that might be a better idea.

$0.02 submitted.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got off the phone with the service consultant. They are indeed replacing the pieces for FREE. The peices are in stock and at the paint booth as we speak. As soon as the paint is done they will call me to replace the damaged ones.

I know some people have complained about the service from their dealership, but Rod East has been exceptional in every aspect that I have seen. Buying the car was a great experience, and the few service visits I have made have been excellent. This one tops them all. Although, there is a 50/50 chance it was a deffective part, it could have easily been caused by some parking lot accident. They seem to do everything in thier power (and then some) to make me happy. A definite :thumbup: :thumbup: for Rod East Volkswagen and another great service visit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts