Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

401 - 416 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Good stuff, we should get a gtg going soon!

Where do you order parts from, autopartsway?
Lately its been the stealership and Precision Tuning Motorsports is literally down the street from my house and he has a lot of good euro supplies for a more than fair price, not sure if he gives me a better deal because he knows me pretty well by now (I know a mechanic in the next unit so I saw him around a lot).

I'm free all summer! Lets get a gtg going, updating below.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
UPDATE!

The VAG family (roommate vehicles), MK2 Jetta VR6 swap 5spd, 2001 Audi S4 OEM++, 2002 Golf TDI on shocks/springs and longbeaches, and of course my baby:

Well its not the best selfie I've ever taken but I finally graduated from Automotive Engineering with a B.Eng which is similar to Mechanical Engineering but my school (UOIT) has a special accredited designation for automotive. I pretty took all of the hard mechanical courses as my electives instead of the basket weaving because I thought they were more fun and challenging.

Excuse the crappy cell phone pics but here is the first thing I decided to tackle, the snub mount. Decided on an OEM one after reading up on pretty much every aftermarket one available. There was a shitty rubber snub mount, similar to the ones for under $10 from ECS tuning and it had a crack along the bottom in radius causing the engine to slightly buck under load from stop. I'm really pleased with the way it feels now and it took me a couple of hours of work in total with some breif interuptions along the way.

Next I decided to tackle the antenna. As you can see it was overdue. I bought a cheap sharkfin antenna from ECS a while ago and got around to finally installing it. It was a little tight and frustrating because of the awkard position you're in if you dont completely remove your seats (I was lazy) but I'll post up a picture of the car with it on after I give her a clean. The reception was terrible besides the good stations so I purchased an aftermarket (yet vehicle specific) antenna amplifier (if anyone needs one let me know) for $20 from my buddy that owns TOO FAST motorsports on Keele in between Steeles and Finch. They can pretty much get and or do anything that you would like and I know the owner personally. I have yet to install the amplifier, I'll get around to it.

Digging that beast out of storage to figure out what the hell happened, all tucked away nicely.

After a quick wire wheel and degrease.

Starting on the right bank.

Forgot to mention I pulled all the misc items on the engine pretty much along with engine mount connection and the headers.

Found this sucker broken, one of the cam chain tensioner guides... not looking good but don't think it could blow up an engine.

Right head removed, nice amount of carbon buildup on the pistons but the walls of the cylinders were nice still.

Left side head taken apart and removed. One of these things is not like the other....

Top View.

Left bank, notice the valve imprints. Thought I could save the block but I guess shes getting stripped for metal and sold for scrap, should net a decent amount according to my buddy if I seperate it. Going to post some things on the forums but I don't really feel like waiting for tooo long. Will probably put the money towards painting my hood.

Right bank, a little better but still prints. All the valves were bent, all of the pistons scored. The cam chain adjusters are still good and I'm not sure if there is a market for cams but there packed away nicely. Will probably start a thread in the clasifieds in case anyone needs anything. Would rather they go to use than scrap.

Also took off the lower oil pan and started removing the oil pump when I realized I didnt have an impact gun on me to take off the crank pulley. Will probably start pulling the interals on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #404 (Edited)
So more gutting, lower oil pan and oil pump easily removed. The front crank pulley was a b**** to get off. Took most of the bolts off with an impact allen wrench and a cordless impact wrench from my buddy that had more punch than most corded ones I've used. One of them unfortunately stripped out. I went at it with a bunch of princess auto "$2.50 a set on sale" and I'm using a $20 jobmate drill (I have other drills but this one suprisingly does the job well and I don't care how hard I kill it. After getting almost nowhere I remembered that I had a heavy steel bit that I was using on a previous school project, went through it like butter but it wasnt a large enough diameter so it was still on. One of my buddies just uses brute force if he ever faces a problem like this, it has become known as the "will method". I have to say it has saved me countless times. Beat it off with a hammer at that was that.

You can spin the crank nut and see all of the interals :D, its so beautiful! On the other side you can see the pistons firing, looks neat if you continuously turn it. I think I convinced my parents to let me clean it and turn it into a table. The oil pump chain is still on so I may just rig up an electric motor from a broken drill and get some lexan going! Will post a video!

All of the parts laid out. I'll be posting some parts for sale real cheap in case anybody on the forums needs anything. I have the cam chain tensioners, cams, chains and other assorted head internals and externals, headers, valve covers, the oil pump with all piping, engine mounts, an abs unit that I picked up years ago but I havent checked and posibly the upper oil pan but the rest is going for scrap

I then proceeded to start gutting the heads. First I removed the retainers and springs. I used a neat little trick that I saw on youtube where you hit the retainer hard with a deep socket over top and it allows the spring to pop out. Wasn't that hard once you got the swing of things.Then I removed all of the studs on the head for the valve cover (tried to get the exhaust studs out but to no avail, hopefully they wont charge me mixed metal price).

The valves were definitely bent but it didnt help that I tapped them a bit from the valve face before I tapped them out as some were slightly stuck in there. There were a bunch of little retaining seats that also had to be removed once the studs were removed, simply took angled needle nose pliers and a good grip. Removed the valve guides as well.

Just have the other head to clean up but I thought I might make a couple of small videos to show the valves shooting out after I smash them with a hammer, was thinking of getting one of my buddies to line up with it and try to catch it with a baseball glove lol. More to come!

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
Hi, I'm in Toronto also and I have a used stock suspension kit for sale. Any idea how to find a buyer? Thanks!
It's recommended that you keep the stock suspension for when you sell the car. You can re-install it or just give it to the new owner of the car once it's sold.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Hey guys! So I got a job with Ford's chassis group in Dearborn Michigan and I'm starting to refresh the passat. Already did the pcv system and I just ordered all of the cam chain tensioner stuff along with the cam chain tensioner tool and a set of valve cover gaskets. Most likely going to attempt it this weekend. I'm heading to Michigan to look for a place to rent on Wednesday and depending on how much time I have I'm going to do my brakes as well but I may just get them done at precision tuning as I'm not sure if I'm going to have an extra pair of hands available during the week and time is getting pretty tight. If anyone wants to join me I'll be available Saturday morning/afternoon and Sunday all day for a garage day!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
Thanks guys! My boss and my bosses boss sounded pretty excited to have me on board. I'll keep everyone posted on how things are going, looks like I'll be doing some design work to start, he mentioned something about steering gears, etc. Ended up getting a little to drunk last night at my buddies place in London so I'll be headed back to Vaughan this evening and working on the car all tomorrow. Pretty much have everything ready to go but I'm still a little nervous about the passenger side cam chain tensioner as it seems they are quite the pain.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
So I'm overdue for an update as I think a lot of you are as well!!!!

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/486825-diy-b5-v6-starter-replacement.html

So I've officially been through two oil pans, a starter, and ripped off my front bumper since arriving in Michigan a year ago.

Finally moved into a house with a two car garage and a couple of buddies. Lots of projects going on but first and foremost I just put in an old starter I had laying around that works. I'll be replacing the oil pan tonight and hopefully she fires up tomorrow (it's been sitting for 3 months or so). If she fires up and drives around decently I'm going to order the lower control arms from FCP groton, headlights, a grill, shocks and springs. I'm also putting in a new hood latch and strut as mine have been gone for a while now.

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about the troubles Chris! I gave you my fender liners a while back, did you see them / get them?

My MK6 has been trouble free so far, not even 1 cel or anything.

401 - 416 of 416 Posts