Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"stattlich" ::
[noble, stately, well-built, handsome, considerable, robust, imposing, brave, superb, gallant, sightly, majestic, grand]

It started with a 1986 GTI my senior year in high school (that I still have). Then my needs changed four years later, and I picked up a new, black on black leather, 2003 GLS 5-speed turbo on New Year's Eve, 2002. With college out of the way and a new job, I was finally able to start thinking about starting a project to transform my new, semi-luxury family car into something more. So the result is what happens when a young man grows up, but still has the mind and lead-foot of a GTI driver with an appreciation for classic, fresh OEM design pushed to the limits that the factory decided not to build itself.

VWvortex and ClubB5/PassatWorld helped immensely in tracking down some of the key components I needed out of the Volkswagen AG partsbin to help turn this car into my unique, OEM+ dream. The project was essentially completed in June 2005, though not being able to decide if I wanted to go farther and farther with the project kept the car's result largely a secret on the Internet until I felt like it was finished enough to 'reveal'.

In the last several months, my needs in life have changed again, and it's time to call it quits on mods. 'Stattlich', my Passat, is complete and reliable as a tank at 70,000 miles this week. The Internet is an incredible resource for pulling off something like this, and if it weren't for the forums and eBay, this thing would still be bone-stock (and I'd likely have a much more flush bank account as a result!), so thanks to all- no regrets. Prosit! :beer:

The Car:
2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 5-speed manual-transmission | Uni-black | black leather | cold-weather package | ASR | PremiumCD

The Modifications:
Wetterauer 1.0 bar Stage 1 chip with Audi OEM TT 710N diverter valve | Koni adjustable shocks | Neuspeed Sport springs | Volkswagen OEM Phaeton W12 'Challenge' ET45 18x8.5" wheels | H&R Trak+ 8mm rear spacers | Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S 235/40/ZR18 tires | Volkswagen OEM Euro-spec bi-Xenon headlamps | Volkswagen OEM Sharan roof antenna | Delphi RoadyXT XM Satellite Radio receiver w/ micro-antenna mounted on dashboard under windshield | NTTA Tolltag stealth-mounted inside in same position | BEL 925 radar detector | Custom Deutschland Euro-plate | Sunguard 35% tint | Volkswagen OEM New Beetle 'turbo' badge | Mercedes-Benz OEM M-Class cargo floor net | Volkswagen OEM Euro-spec Passat electronic trunk-lid release switch | Volkswagen OEM rear fog lamp | Volkswagen OEM warning triangle with trunk-lid mount | Volkswagen OEM Passat W8 sunroof panel | Volkswagen OEM center console armrest chrome trim | Volkswagen OEM seat-mount jacket hanger | London Fog passenger mini-umbrellas | Volkswagen OEM accident and first-aid kits in rear console | Volkswagen OEM+ Passat floormats | Volkswagen OEM Euro-spec headlamp switch | Volkswagen OEM Phaeton 4-pedal array | K&N air filter | Zaino Bros. Car Polish | Mobil1 0W-40 European car blend synthetic oil | ChevronTexaco 'Techron' 93 octane fuel | Dealer serviced

Before:

After:

(whoops, didn't see the mud there... let's try this again. images taken with Canon D30 and G1 digital cameras 08/2006 - 09/2006.)

:thumbup:

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
It's about time. Nice pics, I need a garage like this!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, dudes! Yep, that's what the car is all about- looking stock to the untrained eye, but to 'those in the know', it's so much more than that.

The first two pictures were taken at some highrise at the corner of Preston Rd. and Alexis in North Dallas near the Beltline intersection north of 635. I was instructed to leave the second time (post-mod shot) because I wasn't supposed to take pictures of the building... I think there are lots of investment firms in there or something.

The house is at the corner of Royal Ln. and Inwood in Dallas proper. It belongs, TMK, to an anesthesiologist here in town. They are a young couple with kids- there is a big, private playground in the backyard. Amazing house- I love the 'old world' Europe styling craze hitting the area. There was also a white 993 Porsche parked on the other side of the portico. It was early in the morning when I ducked in for a few shots- tried not to disturb anybody and couldn't help myself. :p

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
If you are so inclined, and have the money (which you would need a lot), I would suggest a W8 instrument cluster swap. I think these were actually standard on non W8s in Europe, and i believe it has the "full sized" MFA.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ergh... yeah... I really want to do that pretty badly actually. I'm thinking whenever I happen upon somebody unloading their NAVI G headunit around here at some point I'll look into that, as I would really want the full-size MFA to go with it. I say I'm done with mods, but that's the last thing I'm holding out for if I find a good deal on one. I hope. :D

How expensive is the cluster swap? Is it a cluster' in of itself to install? :) How do you adjust the ODO to match your car's actual mileage? Anybody done this on here?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm glad the home owner didn't come out guns blazing! Of course he might have just called a security service who would come out guns blazing. Looks great man!

·
Registered
151 Posts
First - love the color ;) and the rest is very slick, too.

StattlichPassat said:
How expensive is the cluster swap? Is it a cluster' in of itself to install? :) How do you adjust the ODO to match your car's actual mileage? Anybody done this on here?
I haven't done it, but I've researched it for the day when I may be funded by my Secretary of War & Finance to afford some OEM+ mods...

Most of the vendors who resell used clusters pull the 4-digit PIN and reset the odos to zero before sale, making it pretty simple on your part as long as you have VAG-COM and can follow written directions. When the odo has less than 100 miles, anyone with a VAG-COM can change the odo to match the correct mileage - it's the resetting of a used cluster that is the black art.

If you find a cluster for cheap that isn't reset, I know there are a couple of guys on TDIClub and maybe here (I'm newer here - not sure who's around) who can do it overnight for you if you send them the cluster.

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
Ergh... yeah... I really want to do that pretty badly actually. I'm thinking whenever I happen upon somebody unloading their NAVI G headunit around here at some point I'll look into that, as I would really want the full-size MFA to go with it. I say I'm done with mods, but that's the last thing I'm holding out for if I find a good deal on one. I hope. :D

There is a W8 cluster for sale in the classifieds ;) So much for being finished!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad the home owner didn't come out guns blazing! Of course he might have just called a security service who would come out guns blazing. Looks great man!
Thanks, Mike! :lol:

Affe- I appreciate the compliment and for the heads up on the cluster. Great information! I'll have to look into tha... what's that you say, Paul?

There is a W8 cluster for sale in the classifieds ;) So much for being finished!
D'oh! :banghead:

*drags feet into Classifieds section*

·
Registered
42 Posts
I really like the shots that you took!! I was disapointed when I couldn't see them on vortex but was happy to see them here. I am assuming they are the same ones?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to you both! Yes, this was essentially cross-posted from the B5 area on the Vortex.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW, have you ever gotten grief from the local constabulatory for your Euro-Plate on front?
Forgot to answer you on this- nope, and been running it for two years now. I try to stick to fast-moving freeways and heavy traffic areas so I either blur past 'The Man' or am just hiding behind another car at a stoplight. I've had several officers give me a good, long look we drive past eachother, but none have gone through the effort of turning around and pulling me over for questioning. Especially when they see the legal Texas plate on the rear anyway.

Best I figure, Dallas police have better things to handle than pull me over for a German plate. You know, stuff like murders, rapes, theft... :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
It's about time. Nice pics, I need a garage like this!

I drive by that house almost everyday to and from work. I love that house but it screems for a wall, it looks kinda out of place since everyone else around there is walled in.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha! Yeah, it really does... kinda out of place indeed, but so right at the same time. Rumor has it Mark Cuban owns the field across the street from it and is selling.

But I love driving past it. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts