Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go and further complicate things. cart and horse crap. I had every intention of buying a plasma. Stuck between a Panasonic TH-50PW50U and a Pioneer PDP-5060HD. Whichever I could get a better deal on.

My reasoning for a plasma was room space. I've since rearranged some furniture, and now don't know if wall mounting is absolutely necessary.

I've opened the room up quite a bit and now am considering an LCD or DLP. Some have told me to throw LCD out of the equation. I now have my eye on a Mitsubishi WD-62827. (or insert suggestion here)

I am so torn on what to do. calling again on CB5 input...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wait until the first week or so of April then the new Pannys will be out and cheaper than current reatil on existing models. I think the MSRP will drop about 500. Check out AVSforum.com for more info

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Sony's SXRD has twice the resolution of a DLP-based television. All of our new models (LCD, SXRD, etc) begin shipping in two weeks.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Urlik said:
Dont' forget to budget for a good upconverting DVD player. You won't be sorry.
That or wait until the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD models come out later this year. For a bit of money though.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
jasonmac said:
That or wait until the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD models come out later this year. For a bit of money though.
I decided to wait for that market to shake out before commiting to it. I buy VERY few titles and rentals on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are probably a ways out.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Why throw LCD out of the equation?

Id take my Panny 50 inch lcd over my 42 inch plasma....but id take my Sony SXRD over both of those

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
e_andree said:
Why throw LCD out of the equation?

Id take my Panny 50 inch lcd over my 42 inch plasma....but id take my Sony SXRD over both of those
Cost is his reason, those big LCDs costs a LOT of money still. Hell the biggest Panasonic builds according to their web site is a 32" and its $1900. Are you sure you mean an LCD HDTV?

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
MBoyd4MOTION said:
Netflix is promising day and date support.
I rent my DVDs for a $1 a rental on base. For the handful of titles I watch a month, its much more economical. Plus netflix is slow in my neck of the woods, one of the negatives on living under the Big Sky.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Urlik said:
Cost is his reason, those big LCDs costs a LOT of money still. Hell the biggest Panasonic builds according to their web site is a 32" and its $1900. Are you sure you mean an LCD HDTV?
Seems like we're now talking about RPTVs, where LCD is one of the least expensive ways to go. All display types have pros and cons. DLP rainbows bother me, too bad they're too expensive to make consumer 3-chippers like LCD/LCoS.

FWIW JVC also makes LCoS displays, keep them in mind if you start looking at Sony's SXRDs.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Urlik said:
RP LCDs.....50 inch....61 inch for 2200

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
while following a link at the bottom of PW I saw this Sony SXRD 60" why is this site so cheap? It is the same one three vendors (Big screen store, Tweeter and Best Buy) were pushing as the best beast out there. "The next technology" Is this just salesman hype? the 60" is 4500 at those three stores. I've always loved Sony's.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
FORIAMBILL said:
while following a link at the bottom of PW I saw this Sony SXRD 60" why is this site so cheap? It is the same one three vendors (Big screen store, Tweeter and Best Buy) were pushing as the best beast out there. "The next technology" Is this just salesman hype? the 60" is 4500 at those three stores. I've always loved Sony's.
Buyer beware ... :nervous:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller7212.html

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
traubenberg said:
Sony's SXRD has twice the resolution of a DLP-based television. All of our new models (LCD, SXRD, etc) begin shipping in two weeks.
Any info on then new models or what will happen on the prices to the old ones?

I was ->||<- this close to pulling the trigger on the 55" LCD (KDFE55A20) but if the price on the 60" SXRD drops enough, I might try and talk the wife into it.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I just went through all this and will be purchasing a 37" LCD which will support 1080p from DVI (this will be my computer monitor as well), and up to 1080i from compontent. I noticed that most LCDs were 720p and that's the best they could do except for this one, not sure why. Of course, I was looking in the 30" - 42" range rather than the 50s which I'm sure are quite a bit different.

Several people I know have bought or are planning to buy 50" DLPs and from what I hear they are good for the money.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
traubenberg said:
can you give me more info on the SXRD. I've been reading alot at avs, and all but fell in love with it at the store. I think this might be it...

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
DLP is just as good as Lcos
It's completely heresay that one technology is better than the other.

The best bang for the buck is still the DLP
HP's 65" DLP for only $4500 + free shipping
Unlike other 1080P televisions (including the sxrd), you can actually plug in your PC and display 1080p format. The image is crystal clear, the tv looks great, and it's a great price.

The HP 58" 1080P model is only $3500 + free shipping

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=1152

1 - 19 of 19 Posts