Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I'm driving to the office and have the radio off :shock: and as I'm going over some bumpy ground, I hear what sounds like a freakin' family of canaries underneath my car. Comes from the front and rear, only when I hit bumps in the road.

At first I thought maybe I just needed to grease the sway bar bushings, but hearing it from the rear kindof takes that out of the pictures. Suspension is H&R Sports with Bilstein shocks. About 20,000 miles on them now.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
noise

My wagon is doing the same thing and if you can believe this it is coming from the hatch latch. I had my wife drive the car and I moved thru out the car and found the squeak. I tried to adjust but no luck, as stupid as it sounds I am taking it to the dealer next tuesday to be fixed. It annoys the shit out of me.

Later

·
Registered
573 Posts
The other likely possibility, which I notice every spring/summer (because I have my windows down) is in the brake system.... I forget if it's the pad rubbing against the caliper, or the caliper rubbing against the carrier. There's a writeup somewhere on exactly what to lubricate to eliminate this noise. I'll post it here when I find it (I think it's on Vortex).

The test is to lightly apply the brake while going over bumps that you know cause the squeak. If you don't get a squeak, it's your brakes (but it's not a pad-rotor interaction).

I had the dealer follow the lube directions and it went away for the season. It's back this year though.

*EDIT* The pics are gone, but I'm pretty sure this is the post I used last year. There's a link to another Vortex topic, which in turn has a link to a clubb5 thread from the old zeroforum site. Don't know if that's archived anywhere but I can't find it.

-Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.