Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to Chip my 01 B5 and I need to know where I can get the most bang for my buck. I also need to know how a new chip will affect my engine reliability and if there are other mods that should go hand in hand with a new chip. Any suggestions or experience with companies, both good and bad, would be helpful.

Thanks

Dan

:???:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am really looking for the companies to stay away from. My local dealer mentioned that they had a couple of cars on the lot that had bad chips and I wasn't sure what companies were less than reputable.

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They didn't know and were not very helpful overall. I have looked before and Upsolute seemed to be the most reasonable. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Dan

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
dmakin said:
They didn't know and were not very helpful overall. I have looked before and Upsolute seemed to be the most reasonable. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Dan
I've got the Upsolute chip in my car. My experience has only been a couple of weeks so I can't give you first hand info regarding reliability but I can say that so far I love the chip. Good acceleration, its not throw you back in the seat and yank your undershorts out of throat but rather a smooth delivery throughout the rev range. I'd recommend it based on my limited experience.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
dmakin said:

Dan
Upsolute is a reputable chip tuner but their V6 and 1.8T engine programs don't compare to one's from APR, Wett, and GIAC. Now the Upsolute program for the VR6 IMHO is the best in the industry but you can do better for the other engine types.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Well, GIAC, APR, Revo, Wetterauer, Upsolute are all respectable chip companies. Everyone is going to recommend what they have installed in their ride, so your best bet is going to be go with the company that you're most comfortable with price wise and customer service wise.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'll throw Neuspeed onto the list. I have the VBL chip in my '99 and would recomend it highly. I got a chance to swap to a GIAC chipped ECU for a few weeks, so I had a chance to compare the two. The GIAC chip felt more agressive, mainly at lower rpms, but the Neuspeed gave a much smoother throttle response. If you are really looking for "the most bang for your buck" Neuspeed is a great deal at ~$200.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
jaero said:
I'll throw Neuspeed onto the list. I have the VBL chip in my '99 and would recomend it highly. I got a chance to swap to a GIAC chipped ECU for a few weeks, so I had a chance to compare the two. The GIAC chip felt more agressive, mainly at lower rpms, but the Neuspeed gave a much smoother throttle response. If you are really looking for "the most bang for your buck" Neuspeed is a great deal at ~$200.
Just to clarify - but I think the $200 price is only for non-DBW cars so his 2001.5 wouldn't qualify. Price for DBW is closer to $300 IIRC.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
come see us (UPsolute) in Naugatuck (not far from Westerly IIRC) this Saturday at our GTG to save on the chip.... I can give you a demo ride in my 01. I also just received two new higher-output files for the 2001 (AUG motor) from Austria that I'll be dyno testing if I have the time this weekend...stay tuned :thumbup: .

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70099

·
Registered
803 Posts
Dan - Neuspeed/Greedspeed seem to be the best bang for the buck, but you cannot go back to the stock program very easily - you must send your ECU to them to re-program it with the stock program which involves de-soldering your old chip, reprogramming it, and soldering it back. Kind of a pain unless you are past the warranty mileage and it doesn't matter (some of the older Passats have 10 year/100K powertrain warranty). The APR and the GIAC chips will allow you to go back to the stock program pretty easily. They cost a bit more but the added features may be worth it to you. I've had the GIAC chip for about 4 years and have been extremely happy with it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You aksed about Upsolute experiences. I have an UP chip in my 2003 5 spd Variant and my wife has one in her 2001 5 spd sedan, both since Augsut 2003. We both like them. No reliability issues at all. UP removes the PROM chip, reprograms it and resolders it. The standard system does not offer an easy way to go back to stock. UP does offer some kind of switchable system, but I don't know anything about it. At the time, it was the best bang for the buck.

We suspected thatthe dealership has re-flashed my wife's 2001 ECU, so we sent it back for re-programming. The installer never even blinked" "Send it in.". He had trouble programming the old PROM chip and so programmed and installed a new one. No charge.

As someone else said: go with a price and tuner you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
fuel consumption?
I have had the Wett 1 bar chip for ~30K miles now and my overall running average fuel consumption (per the computer) is around 27 mpg with mixed city/highway driving. I'd say that this is quite good considering the engine is making ~200 hp/~230 lb-ft. Ergo, IMHO a chip does improve fuel consumption (or conversely, does not deteriorate it).

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Rich P said:
Are there issues with chipping one that's still under warranty?
well, if they can prove that the damage was caused by the chip, then yes, they could reject the warranty. now the option is to buy a spare ECU, and swap it for warranty work, or get a socketed chip, and switch to the stock chip when you bring it in for warranty work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts