Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend, who has an Audi A4 with 91K miles, had his timing belt break thus he is without his car and awaiting his new engine to be installed (to the tune of about $7000 - so replace those timing belts!)

His loaner/rental car is a 2004 jetta 1.8T 5 speed and he let me drive it last night...wow pretty quick little car. Then we did a little side by side racing from light to light to check out quickness.
I just installed my Wett 1.0 bar chip in my 99 passat last week and it doesn't feel nearly as quick as this little Jetta. Is it just the 5 speed, the lighter weight, or the fact it is new, or do the newer 1.8T engines just have more horsepower? My car feels quick, but not as much "throw you back in the seat" feeling as this jetta had.

I replaced my vacuum lines and my DV with the TT DV, but do I need anything else to maximize my chip performance?

Bob

·
Registered
428 Posts
In addition to the aforementioned points, don't forget that Jetta comes with a 180 hp 1.8t according to VW. Your '99 came stock with 150, then was raised to something like 190 by the wett chip. The things mentioned above probably outweigh the 10 or so extra horsepower of your Passat.

The Jetta is faster, the Passat more spacious. I didn't find the front seat of the Jetta comfortable, and there was no space in the rear seats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.