Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i can't wait any longer for the summer to arrive ( :lol: :lol: summer in Ireland ) to mod my baby (well ive already tinted the windows) Im gona start with the eng. so i was going to go with a chip that will bring my bhp from 100 to 133 ....
All was well and good till i heard about this place

http://www.turbotech.ie/tech_info.htm

And decided i'd drop them a mail and this is the response

Hi Darren

By Remapping the Ecu we can safely bring your Bhp
to 125-130bhp.This is a realistic level, and also bring your torque to
290-300Nm.I have Remapped 16 Passat Tdi 100Bhp models,the difference in
drivability is amazing.
We offer a custom Remapping service which means that
I can modify the different maps related to the output and performance of the engine several times.We can road test the car each time to feel how smooth and responsive it is on the road,and make adjustments accordingly.
The cost for this is €699.
No one else on the Irish market offers a Remapping service as comprehensive as this.
Look forward to hearing from you,
Please feel free to ring me on 0879361990 if you have any other queries.
I Phoned you this morning and left a message.

Regards Ed O Brien

So heres the pickle - Theres very little in the difference between cost its €620 ($770) for the chip and €699 (€865) for the remap ,but with the remapping you don't loose the waranity or void your insurance ,but with the chip you do get a couple of extra hp ????

But really to me its just about the power

So here i am to throw it open to the forum :)

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
A couple of hp isn't going to matter much. The idea of having a tuner write a program to your specific vehicle is very appealing. However, I would first verify that this person/company knows what they're doing. I would ask for references from them, and if you could independently find some of their former or existing customers and ask them their opinion of this concern, that would be all the better.

Best of luck.

Kenny

·
Registered
917 Posts
"We can road test the car each time to feel how smooth and responsive it is on the road,and make adjustments accordingly."
Ummm --- okay. :suspicio: How about "dyno test the car to determine scientifically how the remapping has improved performance"?

I would have to vote for a chip developed in a lab with the proper test equipment; i.e. dynamometers and exhaust gas analyzers. The idea of spending 700 euros on butt-dyno results seems dodgy. Maybe these folks do the road test after doing dyno runs in which case, fine. But if solely based upon road tests? Well ---

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
which car? have you looked at Upsolute, we offer tuning for Euro-spec cars, do you have a TDi? much cheaper!

http://www.upsolute.com

or more specifically:

UPSOLUTE Irland
Logic Automotive
Unit 3 Hills Ind.Est
Lucan, Co.Dublin
Ireland phone (+353)(0)86 8255 444
fax (+353)(0)1 62 81937
e-mail [email protected]
homepage www.logicautomotive.com

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dude give Martin at Westward Engineering a call (0405)41622

He is based in Enfield and is very well trusted...
http://www.westwardeng.com/

In your case you would be well suited to getting a Tuning Box...

I got a tuning box fitted to my car...and got it dyno'd before and after...

1st time:

Power 115bhp (flywheel) 92hp (wheel)
Torque 230 lb/ft (flywheel)

2nd Time:
Power 144bhp (flywheel) 121hp (wheel)
Torque 249 lb/ft (flywheel)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also check out http://www.vage.ie

Special offer if you refer to Logic from the site

Logicautomotive - Performance Upgrades and Tuning. Agent for UPsolute. Any remap for VAGE members - €399 -www.logicautomotive.com

Cheers,

Terry

(unconnected with either vage, Westward or Logic, I just happened to notice this in the Vage links section a while back!)

·
Registered
217 Posts
tmg said:
Also check out http://www.vage.ie

Special offer if you refer to Logic from the site

Logicautomotive - Performance Upgrades and Tuning. Agent for UPsolute. Any remap for VAGE members - €399 -www.logicautomotive.com

Cheers,

Terry

(unconnected with either vage, Westward or Logic, I just happened to notice this in the Vage links section a while back!)
Yeaa more Irish here...

·
Registered
217 Posts
tmg said:
:)

if you're ever stuck for a vag com either, just shout!

Cheers,

T.
Oh no worries, I have one 8)

Are you going to westward on Sat ? I'm just going to watch the rolling road...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
pdxa4 said:
Dude give Martin at Westward Engineering a call (0405)41622

He is based in Enfield and is very well trusted...
http://www.westwardeng.com/

In your case you would be well suited to getting a Tuning Box...

I got a tuning box fitted to my car...and got it dyno'd before and after...

1st time:

Power 115bhp (flywheel) 92hp (wheel)
Torque 230 lb/ft (flywheel)

2nd Time:
Power 144bhp (flywheel) 121hp (wheel)
Torque 249 lb/ft (flywheel)
chip gains more hp and tq than a tuning box on a non-PD diesel.

·
Registered
217 Posts
scotty_passat said:
chip gains more hp and tq than a tuning box on a non-PD diesel.
Looks like he has a PD engine in this case...

This dealer also offers REVO tuning...

A tuning box can better suit some individuals as it can be removed easily and one can also get money back on the product if they chose to sell it...
In my case I have a company car, so the tuning box is the ideal solution...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey pdxa4 how much was the tunning box ?
Im also looking to drop my baby after i get my 17" Rs4 rims ,da ya know a good place to get the gear for that ? :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Lucky Charm said:
Im also looking to drop my baby after i get my 17" Rs4 rims ,da ya know a good place to get the gear for that ? :)
Look on ebay mate.

I just got my new 18 x 8 RS4 rep's with tyres for £580, alternatively look in Max power or redline magazines as they are packed full of adverts for alloy wheels and a few list the RS4 replica's.

And there are numerous sellers selling the tuning boxes from around £100 plus (Dragon motorsports is one).

For suspension i ordered my Spax psx kit (4 adjustable dampers & springs) from Halfords (do you have any Halfords in Ireland?), their list price was £410 but they do a price match if you can find them available cheaper at another car parts store within 20 miles, and if you get hold of a Ripspeed catalogue (available instore or off the website) there are some vouchers in the back. They price matched Motorworld up the road which had them listed for £349 and i also used the £40 off voucher from the Ripspeed catalogue, so saved £100 on Halfords list price.

Also Jabbasport near Peterborough do custom remapping on a rolling road.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lucky Charm said:
Tuning box is about 500euro new...I'd still recommend Westward as Martin supplies wonderful support and is extremely knowledgeable...

I picked up my one 2nd hand for 300euro...

Suspension, I am looking into getting my one done also right now... combination recommended to me is Koni shocks and H&R springs, or coilovers...for this and fitting there is a excellent shop in Oranmore Galway...Tom Fahey is his name his number is 087-2527105...also know as VST on Vage.ie

Trevm is another person that runs a shop in waterford, you can pm him on vage.ie also for pricing, he sells FK and many other products...

Personally I'd only go to a person that is a VW/Audi guy...the ones I've mentioned above are highly recommended...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts