Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend the best child safety seats on the market in your experience? The easiest but safest ones to get the infant in and out of etc. I look around and there's a dizzying array of selections plus I don't know what in the world to look for. I'm not worried about setting them up, VW sent a letter saying my dealership will do this and run me through setting them up, etc. plus there's a fire station and police department right around the corner from that I can have double check if the dealership is busy.

If you can recommend one or a few or whatever that you've used, that you like, that are rated well, that are the thing to get could you recommend please? Again though, this is for an infant, I know later on I'll need different seats and what not.

Plus the best way to have the things in so they don't tear up my interior if that makes sense - I mean do you put a towel down under the car seat - is that a no-no or a pad or blanket or what have you.

Thanks,

Sullie

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
There's alot of good ones. You'll be fine if you buy a mainstream one like Evenflo or Graco, etc. Just check for recalls, etc.

I always used a carpet pad under the carseats to protect my leather. For the seats to be effective...proper installation is the MOST important concern. Those suckers have to be locked down TIGHT with no wiggle room. I shorten the belt with the lock, jump in the seat and bounce down on it with all my weight to get that sucker in there tight. There may be damage to your seat after a few years, but better than damage to your baby!!!

Good luck and congrats! :wink:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Sullie said:
Plus the best way to have the things in so they don't tear up my interior if that makes sense - I mean do you put a towel down under the car seat - is that a no-no or a pad or blanket or what have you.
LOL......prepare for some tear and wear with a kid ;)

I have 3 kids...and just buy one that looks safe....easy to carry....easy to snap in and out.....and a known brand.

Once you put in the base....you should really leave it in the car.

Also remember to pull the seat belt all the way out....so that it clicks while you strap it to the base.

Enjoy while they are little and dont talk back.....or run around!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tyrannosaurus said:
There's alot of good ones. You'll be fine if you buy a mainstream one like Evenflo or Graco, etc. Just check for recalls, etc.

I always used a carpet pad under the carseats to protect my leather. For the seats to be effective...proper installation is the MOST important concern. Those suckers have to be locked down TIGHT with no wiggle room. I shorten the belt with the lock, jump in the seat and bounce down on it with all my weight to get that sucker in there tight. There may be damage to your seat after a few years, but better than damage to your baby!!!

Good luck and congrats! :wink:
Well thanks, he's not here yet, I have a couple of months God willing that mom and baby are kept safe throughout but I'm trying to get my act together early. I'm with you, I'd rather the baby be safe than anything else but I'm thinking if someone here says "hey this is the best way to protect the kid and your car seats and this is how. . . " why then I'm all ears.

I was looking at those Evenflo's and Graco's, I just didn't know if one was better than another is all, some look different, didn't know if there was one that worked best with the Passat or one that was a total pos and to stay away from, etc.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sullie said:
[I'm with you, I'd rather the baby be safe than anything else but I'm thinking if someone here says "hey this is the best way to protect the kid and your car seats and this is how. . . " why then I'm all ears.

I was looking at those Evenflo's and Graco's, I just didn't know if one was better than another is all, some look different, didn't know if there was one that worked best with the Passat or one that was a total pos and to stay away from, etc.
On that front, i'd echo passaturbonium's comments. Make sure it's EASY to USE. Then you're more likely not to blow a gasket or get lazy about locking your baby in right.

I can't give you guidance on specific brands, but I can say...may sure you get one that's easy to adjust/tighten the straps on when the kid is actually IN the seat. Some of the seats we've bought are freakin' impossible to tighten once the kid is sitting in the seat...so you have to take the kid out, take your best guess at how tight to pull the straps, then put the kid in and HOPE to god you guessed right. Royal PITA!

We have one seat that adjusts EASILY with the kid in the seat. It's not as fancy or pretty as our other seats (Eddie Bauer, etc.) but it's WAY better designed. I think it's an Evenflow. Eddie Bauer seats SUCK because of the adjustability issue.

As far as INFANT seats...get one where the base stays in the car and you can lift a sleeping baby out and bring him/her in to the house without waking her up. :thumbup:

Buckle your safety belt....life as you know it is OVER! :D (But the new life is GREAT too! :thumbup:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Also I have to add...

Try not to drive with the baby at all.....for the first month. To be honest it should just stay in the house for the first month...doctor visit only. I wouldnt let my wife out of the house with the newborn for first month of all 3 of my kids.

Also get this loop thingy...that goes around the babies head. You will need that for first few months so that the babys head doesnt move from side to side when you take corners. Thats important also!

First month is very critical there is no room for error. To be honest the whole first year is...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3 kids passaturbonium? Remind me to be nicer to you guys with more than one kid. I'm a nervous freaking wreck and I've got a month and a half - two months to go. I've been looking at the ones with removable bases and all.

Let me ask - I've got two cars that I'll be carting the child around in - best to have a separate seat in each car? It's not the money thing - God knows spending thousands on daycare, getting a room ready, etc. - an extra however much for a child seat is like a bloody droplet in the barrel at this point.

The point is, I just didn't know if I needed two seats, I see these bases running around and wonder if I would be better off with two bases, it's not like I can take the kid in two cars at once or anything. I was thinking if I dropped him off and she picked him up it would be easier - that way one of you isn't running around with two car seats the other with none is all. Make sense?

I'll check out the Britax Roundabout - thank you for that brand, etc. ;)

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Sullie said:
3 kids passaturbonium? Remind me to be nicer to you guys with more than one kid. I'm a nervous freaking wreck and I've got a month and a half - two months to go.
:) Im only 26 too ;)

Ive been there 3 times...I know what you mean by nervous. There is alot more words to describe the feeling. You know they say that men dont have to go thru anything and women take all the pain....I dont think thats totally correct. Although we dont acctually go thru pain....we do go thru alot...mentally and physically....it gets very difficult sometimes....I know how it is bro....

Also I hope you know that your relationship with your wife will change also....Im sure it already has quite a bit :nervous: :lol: But you will get to see the real side of her, and same for her....you will find out alot of new things about your significant other.

Some of these things are good to know before marriege because you wouldnt want your wife taking your kids to McDonalds everyday and not cooking.....and sit on her arse while the kids run wild.....would you?

We had a kid before we got married....casue it just happened that way....we didnt mean it....but I think that was a good thing, cause I found out if she was a good or bad mother, how hardworking she is, how and what she feeds the kids, how she rasies them and teaches them....etc....etc....

Once I seen that she made a great mother....of course there were things that I didnt like....there always are....no relationship is perfect....but I was sure she would make a great mother...so I married her. I know many many people that......break up right after the baby is born. It really changes you.....samy goes for you buddie. And you will see and learn that men cannot be full time parent.....some can....but its very very rear, I think TweakedB5 is one of those cases and I give him :thumbup: x million. Besides him, Ive never met a men that can do that....Im talking about taking care of them without a women of course....we dont last to long, but thats our nature.

Women have no choice.....and I think they do have the hardest jobs in the world!!!! When I go to work...its a break....when I get home my job begins.

Wait til you have 2 kids....it doesnt get twice as hard....more like 5 times. With the 3rd kid now.....its more like 10 times harder :)

Was that too much???? I was just starting....LOL...ok I will stop now:)

I would get 2 bases that would make things easy...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
straight from consumer reports:

Infant seat. The Graco SnugRide 8444L, $85, and the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio, $150, earned the highest marks overall. The SnugRide 8444L is among some 24 SnugRide models Graco has recalled. Hardware that securely attaches the car seat to its base may be missing, the company says (see Recalls). For more information, go to www.gracobaby.com. If you’re considering the Viaggio, make sure it fits in your car; fit was sometimes a problem in our tests.
and as passatturbonium mentioned, good to have 2 bases.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also have 3 kids.
Big change going from 2 to 3; we had to switch from man-to-man to zone defense.

I'm sure you've heard this before; kids come out pre-wired. What works for one does not necessarily work for the others. Pretty much trial and error.

Kids are an awesome responsibility. Enjoy!

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
hotani said:

Infant seat. The Graco SnugRide 8444L, $85, and the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio, $150, earned the highest marks overall. The SnugRide 8444L is among some 24 SnugRide models Graco has recalled. Hardware that securely attaches the car seat to its base may be missing, the company says (see Recalls). For more information, go to www.gracobaby.com. If you’re considering the Viaggio, make sure it fits in your car; fit was sometimes a problem in our tests.
Good info....also not only that....after you buy the seat, make sure you register so that they keep you updated on recalls....there is more recalls on these things....then Ford Focus... :lol:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
passaturbonium said:
hotani said:

Good info....also not only that....after you buy the seat, make sure you register so that they keep you updated on recalls....there is more recalls on these things....then Ford Focus... :lol:
Excellent, excellent, excellent - the Consumer Reports thing, I had forgotten about, and I wouldn't have thought to register (since I never do) for updates about the car seats.

This is what I'm talking about - thank you all very much - these things I just don't know and need to be aware of. ;)

Thank you very much once again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts