Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was stopped at a light once and a cop came screaming by me with lights ,siren and the whole nine yards and drove right up to Taco Bell got out and strolled in for a choco taco.

I thought it was funny and was wishing i had a camera.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
One cop around here hit the sirerns, went through the light, cut some people off, then when the coast was clear, turned everything off and went the speed limit :???:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I watched a cop do the samething today, sierns on lights etc, drove by my work, which is off a side street. Made a sharp left turn on to the main road but before he made the full turn off goes everything.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quick explaination to that....

Driving Code 3, or lights and siern, is taken very seriously. You are putting not only yourself, but the public at large at risk. The majority of departments have very strict rules on when you can and cannot use your lights. The following are the normal reasons for rolling Code 3:

Traffic accidents with unknown injuries
Traffic accidents wtih injuries
Officer needs assistance (emergency)
Unknown trouble

Outside of that, it is very rare for officers to be going lights and sierns. They may, if there is a call that warrents it, go what is known as Code 2 1/2. This is when the call itself doesnt warrent a Code 3 response, but the call is escalating quickly, such as a fight, domestic violence, etc. and the officcer feels he needs to make all hast nessecary. This is often when he will use is lights to make a u-turn in a road, or proceed through an intersection where the light is red, but traffic is light.

Now, often when you see officers who start hauling or have been hauling then all of a sudden slow down and kill the lights, this is most often due to the officer being dispatched to a unknown or injury traffic accident, and as they are on their way, another officer who is closer to the crash takes the "code run." This allows the closer officer to get to the crash quick, and endanger less lives by having to roll Code 3 for a shorter distance. The original officer then must "cut the code" and return to a normal driving behavior.

Also, if the officer observes a violator, he or she will use Code 2 1/2 to try and catch up to the violator, then activate the lights right behind, as to only have the violator yield to the officer and not all traffic.

2,551 Posts
Wow, I did not know standard operating procedures were so detailed and strict.

I guess a lot of times, we the public don't know the all the information surrounding something like this, and should maybe give the police the benefit of the doubt for the courageous work they do. I know I will in the future.

Unless I see them pull into Taco Bell or the like :p

·
Registered
432 Posts
my brother-in-law's sister used to be a state trooper. she gave me a lift to the airport to catch a flight for a business trip a few years back. she never lit 'em up (the lights or sirens i mean), but's let's just say we made really, really good time! my normal 1hr 15 min drive to the airport was more like 45min that day!

along the lines of giving a cop the benefit of the doubt.....a buddy of mine is a dallas cop. he suggested that anytime you get pulled over, roll down your window (especially if tinted) and place both hands in plain view on the steering wheel. if it is dark out, turn on your interior lights. these guys never know what they are getting into when they stop someone, not wondering what you're reaching into the glovebox for is one less thing for them to worry about.

sorry for the hijack.

OUT.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
curtis13 said:
along the lines of giving a cop the benefit of the doubt.....a buddy of mine is a dallas cop. he suggested that anytime you get pulled over, roll down your window (especially if tinted) and place both hands in plain view on the steering wheel. if it is dark out, turn on your interior lights. these guys never know what they are getting into when they stop someone, not wondering what you're reaching into the glovebox for is one less thing for them to worry about.

sorry for the hijack.

OUT.
Hmmmm......I have always kept a hand under my seat when they come to the window and act real nervous.

:)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
my uncle used to always take us to school when we were late in the cop car but i don't think that we've ever used the sirens...... but he won't chase anyone if we're in the car..... we did pull one guy over, it was cool but my uncle just gave him a warning........ pretty fun stuff :wink:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You guys haven't been in NYC ... I see cops all the time with the lights on that go through intersections... even cop-in-a-box do that... a block later the catch up to another cop car and just sit there blocking 2 lanes doing nothing but chatting! :thumbdow:

Not all cops... but some cops need a kick in the butt and show some respect in their position as a law enforcement officer!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
One cop around here hit the sirerns, went through the light, cut some people off, then when the coast was clear, turned everything off and went the speed limit :???:
I saw the same exact thing. Really pissed me off because I know he was breaking the rules (which, by the way, thanks for them passatlover)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Remeber that show Card Sharks?

One of the questions 1 time was "Out of 100 Police Officers how many have turned on their lights because they had to go to the bathroom?"

67%

1 - 15 of 15 Posts