Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The check engine light came on in the car. Then the next time I started the car, a message came up on the dashboard "Emission Workshop!" - could that be related to the check engine light?

We just started running mid-grade (89 octane) gas (second tankful in a row) for the first time in 4 years of owning the car - could that be the problem? If so, if we just switch back to premium again, will the check engine light go out on its own?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The Emissions Workshop can be a few things -- it can be a bad seal on the gas cap, but running 89 octane will be handled by the computer. Some folks have had bad coolant temp sensors and others have had faulty MAFs.

If you're near an AutoZone, try to get the codes pulled and post them; the codes will give you what is causing the EW.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rpaller said:
Did you fill up recently? Possible that the gas cap was not tightened enough? Run the tank down and put 91/93 back into it. Do you have a V6 or 1.8T?
I don't think its the gas cap. I am going to start running premium in it again. Its a 1.8T.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jasonmac said:
The Emissions Workshop can be a few things -- it can be a bad seal on the gas cap, but running 89 octane will be handled by the computer. Some folks have had bad coolant temp sensors and others have had faulty MAFs.
What do you mean by "running 89 octane will be handled by the computer"? How will it be handled? Also, what is an MAF?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PatPan said:
if you really want to save money by a VAG-COM I did and it's worth every penny.
I take it a VAG-COM can decipher check engine codes. Where did you get it and how much did it cost? Does it just pull codes or does it translate them into plain English?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Some folks have had bad coolant temp sensors

When you say bad coolant sensor do you mean when it's cool or cold outside it flashes evertime you start it up till the car warms up. Mines been doing that since they day I owned it and the dealer said it's supposed to. then my brother bought a 99 passat and his dosen't.

Jim

·
Registered
91 Posts
AutoZone reading codes

jasonmac said:

If you're near an AutoZone, try to get the codes pulled and post them; the codes will give you what is causing the EW.
I'm having the same trouble, so I went to my local AutoZone & they didn't know where to plug it in. :shock:
Can someone here help me out...please? :bow:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Check under the dash on the driver's side. On the bottom of the knee cover trim near the left hand side. It'll look like a purple plug.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The CEL coming on cause the gas cap is not tight enough is one of the STUPIDIST features on the car! I mean seriously that is soooo dumb, it has happened to me too many times, I am soo sick of having to tighen the gas cap so tight that I have to use a monkey wrench to loosen it! :mad:

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
It could be your Secondary Air Injection Pump. Is it a solid CEL which stays on? Has it gone off on its own yet? No need to worry about hurting the car. Pump works on start up only to pump air into the exhaust system to reduce emissions. My SAIP just gave up the ghost on my 2000GLX.

If it is your SAIP, get ready for $400 to replace it. I don't know what kind of emissions testing you have in Hawaii, but you will definitely have to replace it before you sell it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
cm103 said:
Check under the dash on the driver's side. On the bottom of the knee cover trim near the left hand side. It'll look like a purple plug.
Thanks cm103,

It was just where you said it should be! :thumbup: It looks like it's an O2 sensor. I've got 48k on the clock, so I think it'll be covered. Thanks again, this is why I love this forum!!! :bow:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.