Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning i was driving north on RT 93 in NH and it was about 17F, i was going about 85mph when the my 99 1.8t hesitated and the check engine light came on. it came on for a second then went off and that was the end, i drove another 200 miles with no problems. i was wondering if any one might know what caused this and if it is cause for concern? when the light came on it felt like there was a total lose of power for the second the light was on. Thanks

Dee

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had the same thing happen like 2 years ago. Has not happned since. I was accelerating nicley and was getting pretty fast and it was like the engine cut off for one second then right back up. The CEL came on and went off. same 99 1.8t here.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Same thing happened to me in my 98 1.8t. I had 400 miles left on my trip from NYC to Ohio. It was just a misfire. I wouldn't worry about it. I have gone 8k since then without a problem.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yep, pull a code. It had a misfire and as soon as the situation corrected, turned of the MIL. If if the MIL is not on, or worse, blinking, you are OK to drive it, but do get the code pulled as soon as possible.

MY98 and MY99 cars had tons of Ignition Control Module (ICM) issues, this sounds like that. The ICM does not always die at once, it can take a long time and be sporadic like this before it goes. If the DTC is for a misfire, I'd bet that is what you are seeing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats for the replies i am going to take the to the dealer to have them pull the codes and see whats going on no problems since this happend so i am hoping it was just a fluke

Dee

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
probably just a fluke or a misfire

but i wouldnt want to not know what cuased it

i invested 88 bucks in the BR-3 code reader and have used it for 3 diffrent code readings already ( about 2 months) the shop i got to charges about 78 bucks ( i dont know what with tax) to read a code and my VW shop was to bussy to see me that day

its been like a brick of gold

you should get one just to have better yet find some one near you that already has one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
crash893
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing