Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check engine light comes on occasionally with a P0160 code (bank 2 sensor 2). It will stay on for days, then go out for days. I plan to get it fixed in the spring.

I found in the forum a process for resetting it - basically disconnect battery for 15 sec, touch battery leads for 10 sec, reconnect battery, keep driver door open, key in on position for 30 sec. However, it did not work. I'll try it again today in the daylight.

However, as a back-up, is there anyone in the Southern NH/Nashua area (or close by) who has a VAG-COM where I can stop by and get it reset?

thanks

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
As long as the problem - "02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2 Sensor 2)" - persists, the light will keep coming back on, no matter how many times you reset it. So why bother - trying to get through emissions testing? Resetting the light may not help; as long as the system hasn't been through a diagnostic cycle, the readiness code won't be set and (depending on state) it still may not pass.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: So why bother"

It is the difference between paying my independent and my doing it myself when it is not so bloody cold.

Agree, it still might not pass, but it is worth the try.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You don't really need a VAG-Com to reset it. You should be able to reset it with just about any OBDII code reader. But as has already been mentioned, it's just going to keep coming back until the problem's fixed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: OBDII code reader

Works for me. Anyone locally with one I can use for 5 minutes?

I'll be fixing the problem in the spring.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
RE: So why bother"

It is the difference between paying my independent and my doing it myself when it is not so bloody cold.
I think that Scott was referring to repeatedly clearing the CEL, not about who fixes whatever is turning it on.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
I found in the forum a process for resetting it - basically disconnect battery for 15 sec, touch battery leads for 10 sec, reconnect battery, keep driver door open, key in on position for 30 sec.
They forgot the part about placing a red chicken in a burlap bag and waving it in a circle above your head while standing on one foot and chanting the names of seven VW engineers over and over again.

Almost any scan tool that can read your codes can also clear those codes. If you have a laptop, your best bang-for-the-buck would be to get one of those ebay cables for under twenty bucks and download the free version of Vag-Com directly from Ross-Tech. If in the future you ever need, you can pay the $99 software license and unlock more of the functionality of the software.

16544/P0160 - Ross-Tech Wiki
This one might come right back shortly after a clear. That sensor is for emissions systems monitoring so the system will want to notify you that it has an emissions failure. You might want to check that it's plugged in. Maybe re-seat the connector. I think B2S2 plugs in to the main harness (along with several others) on the fire wall behind the coolant expansion tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts