Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just want to rant a bit here about my 2005 Passat. Love the car but starting to really feel it in the wallet now..

The check engine light came on today....grrrr. I will bring it to the indie shop this week to diagnose. I really, really hope it is nothing expensive...

Inherited the car from my parents about 4-5 years ago. In recent years, I:

-Bought 4 used rims, which I refinished. My wonderful older child who was using it, decided to curb all 4 rims within 1 year of getting them refinished.
-One of the rims developed a crack this year. I managed to buy a "new" old rim and the tire place that mounted the tire chipped the rim.
- Replaced valve cover gasket after smelling oil in the passenger compartment.
-Had the ABS module repaired.
-Replaced front upper control arms
-Replaced tie-rods
-Replaced engine/transmission/snub mounts
-Replaced timing belt/water pump/radiator
-Replaced spark plugs
-Replaced driver's door lock regulator
-Replaced left and right CV boots
-ATF service
-Family went on a road trip and came back with a bubble in one of the tires. I was hoping to replace all 4 tires next spring but had to replace all 4 plus the spare (which was manufactured in April 2004) this week instead..

Granted, a good chunk has been maintenance items... just hope I stop bleeding $$ into this car sooner than later..

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Paying money to repair a used car does stink but consider the alternatives. You pay now or you pay later and have you checked used car prices lately?

If you can do some of the repairs yourself you will save lots of money, but I know that not everyone has the time or space or the tools to do that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paying money to repair a used car does stink but consider the alternatives. You pay now or you pay later and have you checked used car prices lately?

If you can do some of the repairs yourself you will save lots of money, but I know that not everyone has the time or space or the tools to do that.
Oh yeah. Used car prices are crazy.

All the replacements were at the indie shop, even the spark plugs. The only reason I had them replace it was the CEL came on as I was going there and they diagnosed it as old spark plugs, which I found out was the case, based on my records. Since they were going to replace the valve cover gasket it only cost me $20 for labor plus the plugs The ATF service was done just when I got the car so that was 4-5 years ago. The ABS module I removed myself and sent to Module Master.

Forgot to mention, the rear brakes on one side are down to 1-2 mm so they're due too. I can do that myself as it seems pretty straight forward. It's also due for a brake flush.. Needs a power steering flush too... Ugh...

So what I'm looking at is:

1) Rear brakes
2) Brake flush
3) CEL. Cause TBD. Hope it's not expensive..
4).Power steering flush

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
That's not a bad list. I just did a brake flush on my 2017 Nissan Leaf (the very first car I ever bought new....) so that is to be expected with ANY car. Ditto for pads, unless it's an EV, which can regenerate to slow down and almost never wear out pads. Power steering flush is a good idea although that is something I don't worry about until issues show up.

Hopefully the CEL will something easy. Good thing there is an OBDII port that will probably point to the problem. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2005 Wagon 1.8/tip/4-mo
5 Posts
I agree - that's not a bad list when you consider one of your kids is driving it. Our kids destroyed a set of wheels on one of our other cars too.

I have a 2005 1.8t with 187k on it that I got back from one of our adult kids (It used to be ours). I'm hitting some neglected maintenance items but I just drove it home (1500+ miles) and I was impressed with it's capabilities yet in the mountains and holding 85 mph for hours on end in Utah.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts