Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the drive cycle length after the check engine light has been reset. I recently had mine reset, then went to have the emmisions done and the said i had "too much readiness." They told me to go drive around and come back. So I went for about a 50 mile loop and they told me it stil wasn't enough.

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
I drove mine from Pittsburgh, PA to Wheeling, WV and the light turned off (30 miles). Sounds like your problem may not turn out to be that easy to fix.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Generating readiness is not quite as dependant on miles as it is on the ECU seeing certain events. There has to be at least one cold start and aslo a period of sustained high speed driving. You probably missed the cold start.

2,551 Posts
if you have a vag com, you can run readiness testing, and check to see if your ecu has results from its internal testing.

i just read about this on another thread, where you can rev the engine while in a test mode to get the readings ready. let's see if we can find it.

i also drove 40+ miles to get it ready for my emissions test, but vag com kept on telling me that the secondary air injection test failed or was incomplete. I believe that only kicks in on cold starts, so I had to wait for cold weather for that to be ready.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i finally got somebody at the dealership to tell me what a drive cycle consisted of. They told me it required startup and driving about a mile. It doesn't have to be a cold start, or any certain speed. My emmisions told me i had a few more to go and sure enough i went out started and drove a little over a mile shut it off, Restarted it drove a little more, shut it off and restarted it and BAM!! CEL was right back on. So now i'm off to change my O2 sensors. But the i still can't tell you how many cycles total i had to go through to get past "Too Readiness"

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Anyone know the drive cycle length after the check engine light has been reset. I recently had mine reset, then went to have the emmisions done and the said i had "too much readiness." They told me to go drive around and come back. So I went for about a 50 mile loop and they told me it stil wasn't enough.
Resetting the CEL without fixing the problem will only regenerate a "ready" condition if the problem causing the CEL went away. Certain conditions will clear and show "ready" very quickly while others conditions take a longer cycle. Since your CEL came back, your readiness code then will show a "not ready" condition. You need to fix the problem.

Per Bentley's the following conditions must be met to regenerate readiness codes:
Perform a road test.
1) Intake air temp between 5*C and 35*C
2) Run car until coolant temp is 80*C
3) Turn ignition off and let coolant temp cool to approximate air intake temp.

Perform a road test.
1) Start car and accelerate vehicle midly (not WOT).
2) Drive for 10 minutes at constant speed between 2000 to 2500 rpm in highest gear.
3) Drive in decelerated mode at no more than 1800 rpm.
4) Park car and let idle for 3 minutes and do not push gas pedal.

Perform road test above again steps 1-4

Check readiness code if not all zeros, perform road test again steps 1-4.

Check readiness code again if Secondary air or Evap not ready, then repeat entire test again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts