Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine light on my '06 Passat came on 3 days ago while I was driving. Everything seems to be running smoothly. I checked the engine oil and it was half way between the minimum and maximum levels. I drove the car for short distances the last couple of days and the engine light was still lit. I made an appointment with the dealership for tomorrow morning to see what is going on. Tonight I went to drive the car to the store and the light is no longer on. Does anyone know why the check engine light would come on for a couple of days and then go out on it's own? I decided to keep the appointment for tomorrow anyway since I have about 4700 miles and will have the oil changed while I'm there. Thanks

eddie

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have had this a few times. The dealer reply was that if it was running smoothly not to bring it in. If it sounded rough take it in. One time i had the light on it was booked in and when the wife went to start it to take it to the dealers the light had disappeared they ran the diagnostics and it showed up no fault found. The light never came on again. If you are having it serviced it would be worth getting the fault codes checked anyway. Doi not pay extra for it since it is either included in the Oil Change service (UK) or it is a warranty issue.:thumbup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had this a few times. The dealer reply was that if it was running smoothly not to bring it in. If it sounded rough take it in.
Thanks Brian. I took the car to he dealer on Saturday. Even though the check engine light was off they ran a diagnostic check and found the 02 sensor needs to be replaced. It's covered under warranty but they did not have the part in stock and I will have to return at a later date to have it done. They said it is OK to drive while waiting for the part. Since I left the dealer the light has been off and on several times.

eddie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts