Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passat wagon B5.5 1.8T auto 2005

The check engine light suddently turned on while I was driving on local road. But I didn't feel anything unusual . The engine ran smoothly . Is that a big issue ?

Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
We have no way of helping.. you havent indicated anything...

When a CEL comes on there is obviously something acting up with your car.

Suggest you take it to autozone and have them scan it and get the codes from them then report back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. I found a CEL guide in our forum (Should have done it at first place ). will check error code .

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
ahh so you've had it scanned already? There are MANY causes of a CEL, the list may hurt your eyes :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to AutoZone. One guy said they don't do error code read any more ( either free or not ) . So no luck .
I drove about 30 miles with the ECL and it seemed to work ok. What is the cheapest code reader I could find on market ? vag-com is a bit pricey .

·
Registered
275 Posts
ECSTuning currently has one on sale for around $50. It's basic, but will give you numbers and clear the code once you've fixed the issue. I plan on ordering mine From ECS tomorrow. I also recently saw them at CostCo for $89. Innova brand I believe. Looks like a little bit fancier version of the ECS one. Vag-Com seems to be the way, if you can swing it, you should. I would, but I just don't have the $$$ or a PC laptop.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Cheapest is to go on ebay and look at the options available to you.

Best method is to save for a vag-com cable, they are a great investment.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Unfortunately not, because it does show you only the first DTC in the list, which usually doesn't help much. You should also have a CAN-bus compatible interface cable for your car, and the compatibility of 3rd party cables is questionable when CAN-bus is in question. You can try it though, doesn't hurt the car, nor you, your wallet may cry though for possible waste of money. If you have any VW-specialized repair shop close to you, or even a dealership, get the car there and ask them to have the car scanned (they CAN and will do it), shouldn't cost you over $20. Have them hand you the printout of the DTC list, and post 'em here.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,390 Posts
until you can post a code, nobody can help. most common is a vacuum leak from rotted vacuum lines(not usually the case for a 2005) or a broken check valve or suction pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not urgent if the CEL isn't flashing, but you want to get it fixed just so you don't start to let the car get away from you in terms of maintenance.

You can buy a generic scan tool at any car parts store for ~$50. Or chances are you have a buddy with one. It will read all the standard codes.

A VAG-com is a much better tool at $250-$350. Search for the VAG-com locator, many people are willing to scan your car for beer.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it. It's probably just flagging a bad sensor or a small vacuum leak. Any OBD-II reader you can get ahold of will get you the code. We can help you from there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to a local shop with good review on Yelp . They scanned it and said it was emisson related and would be covered by 7 yr emission warranty . Then we took it to a vw dealer. They will tell us whether it is fully covered by warranty tomorrow. Unfortunately, I handed the error code to dealer and didn't make a record. Will update

Thanks a lot .

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,390 Posts
not worth it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The local shop used VCDS and read error code :
16840 EVAP system : very small leak detected
P0456 - 001 : Upper limit exceeded - intermittent - MIL ON
Rediness 0000 0000.
Then the local shop recommended us to go to dealer since it might be covered by emission warranty .

Dealer charged diagnostics again and found purge valve broken.

bloody $262 for labor inclduning diagnostics
$178 for purge valve part number 1C0-906-517-A .

Thanks a lot for your advise.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts