Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but can't find a specific answer. My check engine light came on in my 02 V6 GLX 4motion. How do I find a code to figure out what is wrong. I saw some posts about "vag-com" (don't really know what it is) is this what I need? The car still runs great... acts like nothing is wrong. Thanks for your help. Could it be related to my driving for about an hour in 6-8 inches of snow yesterday. (it performed great-awd is so sweet:D )
Please forgive my ignorance on this subject - anyone who can help me learn about it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Go to Autozone and they can scan the code. Then post the code.

Vag-Com is a windows based diagnostic software program that can communicate with VW's and Audi's onboard computers. There is a free version of the software that has limited functionality. You need a special cable to connect to your PC and auto.

http://www.ross-tech.com/index.html

·
Lock and Load
4,040 Posts
Yeah, you have to scan it before doing any replacement or assumption, because sometime it just an error that only needs to reset it, instead of guessing & replace something that's unsure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone at the office told me that driving in the deep snow may have knocked an O2 sensor loose.
Any thoughts?

·
Lock and Load
4,040 Posts
I don't know about the snow, but bad O2 sensor can cause the engine light on. I happened on my friend B5

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called AUTOZONE, and they don't do the service. ADVANCE AUTO said they do it so I stopped in. They couldn't get a code saying that they can never get the code from german cars. I am close to EIP TUNING in MD if you have ever heard of them. They specialize in VW but they want to charge $30 just to get the code. I might stop in there later today.... hate to pay the fee but I guess I have to.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Sometimes inexperienced people can't push the connector in and seat it correctly or Advance Auto needs a new scanner. Are there other AUTOZONE or ADVANCE AUTO stores near by that you can try? For $30 (dealer will charge at least twice that) EIP TUNING should perform a full scan with a VAG-COM for more than the OBDII codes and for other problems that do not light the CEL. Also, there are probably members near Westminster / Baltimore that would scan it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts