Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 2006 VW Passat 2.0T about a week ago and today the check engine light came on. Is there any way for me to find a fault code to maybe find out why?

I had filled up with regular grade fuel (however I now completely filled the tank with 93 octane). I also checked the fuel cap but it doesn't seem to "click" when I turn it to the right. Just trying to see if I can find anything out before having to schedule an appointment at the dealer.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
you can go to AUTOZONE and have them use a OBDII scanner and see what the codes are for FREE.!

write them down and post your results .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I didn't know AutoZone could do that. Here's the fault codes they came up with:

P2004
P0642

Is that bad?

·
Registered
237 Posts
18436/P2004/008196 - Intake Manifold Flap; Bank 1: Stuck Open

Possible Solutions
Check Intake Manifold Flap
Use Output Test
Perform Basic Setting (Switch Ignition OFF between Output Test and Basic Setting)

Special Notes
When found in Engine: 2.0l TFSI
Perform Basic Setting.
Check TPL 2016420 (RoW)
Check Engine Control Module Software Version, if necessary perform Update.
Replace Intake Manifold Runner (V157) with updated part.

17026/P0642/001602 - Sensor Reference Voltage A: Circuit: Low

Possible Causes
Control Module and/or Sensor Power Supply faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Control Module and/or Sensor Power Supply

Special Notes
When found in Engine: 2.0l TFSI
Check Wiring from/to the following Components and Components themselves:
Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31)
Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Position Sensor (G336)
Low Pressure Fuel Sensor (G410)
Check TPL 2016420 (RoW)
Check Engine Control Module Software Version, if necessary perform Update.
Replace Intake Manifold Runner (V157) with updated part.

Technical Service Bulletin for both Fault Codes...
http://geocities.com/nfe100/Technical_Bulletins/2008.03.26_RVU_24M2.03_DTC_P0642_P2004_P2008_P3137_P3138_.pdf

This is a common issue on the 2.0t FSI engines. You should call your dealer to see if you have a required SW update for your car (should be the OY update). If you still have a warranty, then you should take it into the dealership and have them deal with it. Sometimes the Intake Flap motor corrects itself, if not, you're going to need to find some with a VagCom...perform the basic settings and see if that cures. If the CEL returns with the same codes after performing the basic setting, then you might need to replace the motor that controls the flaps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dealer replaced my flap motor today under warranty. I have 26k on my '07. I had the check engine CEL that went away after wife tightened gas cap so I thought that's all it was, but since it was under warranty decided to bring it in anyway. Evidently the code was for the Flap Motor. Throttle response seems a little better as well, but I'm sure it's just psychological.

Also had a parking brake CEL that occurred just 1x a few months ago. I turned engine on/off and CEL went away. DLR saw that code and replaced parking brake switch as well, under warranty. I asked if the replacement parts are 'new and improved' from VW and he said yes. This dealer has been a joy to work with.

·
Registered
80 Posts
just remember that if you dont tighten the gas cap a CEL won't show, it has a seperate light on your dash for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I have a 07 Passat 2.0T and I just stopped by the dealer due to the engine light coming on. Dealer says its the intake flap and its ok to drive. Well I'm hitting the road to head to Miami this week, for a 1500-2000 mile road trip. They say it will be fine, I worry, since they just replaced the cam and fuel pump follower two weeks ago and the battery suddenly went dead last week. Have only had the car for three weeks. Not feeling to good about owning a VW!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Multimode. Be specific with your mechanic about taking that long trip, not just any trip. Your Passat is 12 years old so it will have maintenance issues at that age, like any car. If you had to replace the follower and the battery immediately after your purchase, I'd hang that on the seller, not the car. They likely knew about those issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts