Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, man my check engine light came on and I didn't think anything of it as I changed my air filter a couple of days back and sometimes I have found I get a engine code shortly after. Anyway, I was on my way to AutoZone to have them run the code so I had an idea what it was. On my way there my engine goes into complete limp-mode and all my readings on my dash are insanley wrong. If I put it into tip-mode it wouldnt' show me the 1st, 2nd, etc. Anyway, I get gas on my way there and once I leave the gas station the car is not in limp-mode any longer. Stop at AutoZone and they run the diagnostics and it finds 4 error codes!!! I have never heard of 4 at a given time. So this first one I find that I am not familiar with.

P1141 (Load calculation cross check range or performance problem) what does that mean?

The other 3 I am familiar with, but wondering if it has something to do with the first one?
P1129 ( Long term fuel trim too rich (bank2))
P1127 (Long term fuel trim too rich (bank1))
P0103 (Mass air flow sensor circuit, high input)

Any ideas?????? tia

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check all your hoses... My car was throwing similar codes, could not figure it out... Finally while doing an oil change, I noticed the hose under/ near the coolant resivoir going from the intake manifold to some valve towards the fire wall... After I jerry rigged a new one, my car was fine!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HungLo said:
Check all your hoses... My car was throwing similar codes, could not figure it out... Finally while doing an oil change, I noticed the hose under/ near the coolant resivoir going from the intake manifold to some valve towards the fire wall... After I jerry rigged a new one, my car was fine!
Thanks, I have an idea of what these mean or where to start lookging (P1129 ( Long term fuel trim too rich (bank2))
P1127 (Long term fuel trim too rich (bank1))
P0103 (Mass air flow sensor circuit, high input) )
But the other one I have no idea even what that means to try and troubleshoot?
"Load calculation cross check range or performance problem"

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other question. When you find out the code and the definition of the code.... Like for example; the P1141 which is "Load calculation cross check range or performance problem", how would I even begin to understand what that is" Some of the other codes and their definition are much easier to try and troubleshoot. Like the code talks about the fuel trim too rich/lean in Bank 1..........., etc. I have an idea of where to look.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
atomicalex said:
Becca, something happened to your MAFS. It either got unplugged, or you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Check the hoses near the FPR and of course, the rest of the emissions loop vacuum diagram. PITA.
You think a vacuum leak could be causing 4 codes? I still am in wonderment about that performance code.

·
Registered
872 Posts
glxpassat said:
Well, I now try to start my car and it starts..........hits about 1000 rpms and dies. If I hold my foot on the accelerator pedal then things are ok...........what is going on?????? :???:
Bump for this issue--my car's doing the same thing and I just had some bad hoses replaced.

glxpassat, what about when your car is already warm--does it still die?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
i would try to the mass aif flow first

that seems to be the root of all enigne codes in my expertices ( very limited)

see if some one would be kind enogh to swap with you

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JDigga said:
glxpassat said:
Well, I now try to start my car and it starts..........hits about 1000 rpms and dies. If I hold my foot on the accelerator pedal then things are ok...........what is going on?????? :???:
Bump for this issue--my car's doing the same thing and I just had some bad hoses replaced.

glxpassat, what about when your car is already warm--does it still die?
Thanks for the bump! I have looked all around in the engine bay,......granted there is only so many spots you can look in the V6 since it is cluttered with many parts making the visibility hard. I also had someone mentioned that maybe because I just put back my clean K & N airfilter that I had over oiled it? I am very careful on how much oil I apply and I let it sit for over 2 weeks. (had no time to put the good filter back in). Any ideas?????

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
That's it, Becca. You need to take out the MAFS and clean the wire. That sensor can cause a condition which results in a cascade of codes - one thing goes wrong, then that causes other things to go wrong, etc.

Take out the MAFS and spray the wire with some rubbing alcohol. Do not touch the wire with your hand or anything else for that matter. Let it dry and reinstall. Things should improve forthwith.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts