Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which engine, drivetrain would require the least amount of maintenance out of the following? How do they compare with one another.

--1998 BMW 328i Sedan........are these reliable?

--E36 M3 Sedan (1996-1998)......Are M3's pretty reliable or no? I'm sure parts are $$$

--2000 S4......I've heard about the 2.7T's reliability... :weirdo: ...but how does it stack up to the M3's?

Do M3's require more maintenance than most other cars because of it's more robust engine? :???:
Or are they more expensive to maintain simply because of the price of their parts? :???:

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
As far as BMW's go my dad has owned then for 22 years and never one engine problem he had an 85 318 and the engine ran perfenct for 15 years then he sold it for a 99 323 and that ran perfect for 3 years then he sold that and now has a 03 330 and that is running well also so BMW's are preaty reliable i dont know about audi but all our B5's seem to run well and same mother company so there cant be that much of a difference in the reliability

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Out of those three cars? Probably the 328 is the most reliable. Any M-series car will cost you a bundle to take care of and keep in top-running order. Though, I have heard the E36's are alot less expensive than the current gen....

As for the 2.7T, well, most companies won't sell you an aftermarket warranty for a car that has that engine. In fact, as far as I know, Audi will not even sell you an extended warranty after purchase for a 2.7T powered car. The 2.7T is an awesome performing engine that, because of twin-turbos, can reach 300HP easy with just a chip. However it's the same twin-turbos that lead to it's expensive nature. If you look for a previous gen S4, definitely make sure it's Audi Assured!! This will at least keep you financially sane... :wink:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Audi will sell an extended warranty on the 2.7T, but only on certified cars with less than 35,000 miles and they warranties are very expensive. That aught to tell you somehting about the reliability. if you like cars that go through turbos like a frat boy goes through girls, then the 2.7T is for you...

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
duandcc said:
Audi will sell an extended warranty on the 2.7T, but only on certified cars with less than 35,000 miles and they warranties are very expensive. That aught to tell you somehting about the reliability. if you like cars that go through turbos like a frat boy goes through girls, then the 2.7T is for you...
Slap K04s on it and it should be more reliable. I haven't heard about too many of those fail. Do the starter at the same time :wink:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
passaturbonium said:
Slap K04s on it and it should be more reliable. I haven't heard about too many of those fail. Do the starter at the same time :wink:
I'd bet that's because there are jsut less 2.7Ts with K04s, not that the cars with K04s are more reliable. The problem is that the oil lines coke up and cut off the oil supply and eventually fry the turbos. The oil lines remain the weak spot even if you use K04s: same oil lines in the same position = the same problem...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts