Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the proper precedure for checking and filling your AC? It takes forever to get cold, so I figure I should at least check the pressure on it. Also, what should it be at? (assuming I can get a gauge to check it...)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
For real! Summer time bump! Mine seems to work "ok" when the outside of the car is cool or first thing in the morning but when the car sits in the sun the air really doesn't get "cold". Cool at best. Low charge?

G

·
AT Pepboys and Autozone they sell a R-134a. Use one can with dye to find leaks if you dont have any leaks, buy one can with the gauge and lubricant. fill it until it shows full on the gauge. Your looking at like 2 cans to fully charge the system.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
Does anyone know the proper precedure for checking and filling your AC? It takes forever to get cold, so I figure I should at least check the pressure on it. Also, what should it be at? (assuming I can get a gauge to check it...)
Take it to an AC shop. Get it fixed right the first time.

G

·
V6er said:
VWPassatGLX155 said:
So quick to pay, he didnt say his system was broken he could at least check himself befroe taking it in, and theres not enough pressure in the cans to damage the system. Diy is the phrase that pays you! :wink:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
ac recharge

I was having the same problem and after reading about the can with the gauge I went to Target and bought it. I did it in 15 - 20 minutes and my AC is COLD. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I just did it myslef too! Got the kit with the guage in line for 20 bucks. I had about 18PSI in the system. Now close to 40 baby! Seems much better now. The kit is fool proof unless you try and jam it on the high pressure side. Don't try that! LOW PRESSURE SIDE, the kit only will fit on the low pressure side.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
How about some pictures, and what is the recommended pressure?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
V6er said:
correct. when you have a professional a/c service it pressure checks for leaks before charging, so you dont fill it and blow it into the air. it also more importantly recycles the oil for your compressor. also if you overfill the system with 134 it will make your a/c warmer. and some shops replace the valve stem in the lines to prevent future leakage. this one is best left to a properly calibrated a/c machine.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
To me it was a judgement call. I have almost 130K on my 99 B5 and it has never been recharged. I know it is a closed system but I was a little low according to the guage. It will not allow you to overcharge the system and it adds compressor oil and a little "ring sealer" that may seal whatever small leak I might have in the system. I figure it lost about 6oz of R134 since the car was built. It's not a big leak. If I was completly empty in Freon of course I wouldn't try and skimp on the can job.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
You can buy a lot of cans of 134a for what it costs to fix a small leak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.