Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you have mentioned, a good idea for additional revenue might be to charge users who post in the classifieds section, just like ebay. I like this idea and want to run with it...please post your thoughts/ideas/suggestions...

My thoughts:

1. 10% is a little too high, Im thinking maybe some sort of range system like this...

$1-25 items, fee is a flat $1
$26-99 items, fee is $5
ETC

2. How would we collect money, before or after the transaction?

3. Who will collect the money? Should we consider using one of you mods?

4. Should we consider this for Group Buys too?

TIA

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
great idea, Thanasi! this will provide you with an additional revenue stream so you can pay us to moderate (like you promised!), as well!

I think you'll find that a flat 3% fee might actually be best, and will be the least painful. I'd be willing to do a cost-tradeoff analysis for you, and I'm sure Urlik can help.
if you go much more than that, and people will balk - they will say there's always craigslist, vortex, etc.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great idea, Thanasi! this will provide you with an additional revenue stream so you can pay us to moderate (like you promised!), as well!

I think you'll find that a flat 3% fee might actually be best, and will be the least painful. I'd be willing to do a cost-tradeoff analysis for you, and I'm sure Urlik can help.
if you go much more than that, and people will balk - they will say there's always craigslist, vortex, etc.
I like the percentage idea, but it may cause a little confusion...

1. One of us is going to have to calculate the fee and enforce it, that might become annoying. Flat fee will take care of this.

2. What do we do wehn we calculate the fee to the penny and there are remainders? General rule of thumb will say to round this up or down, but I have a feeling all the penny pinchers in the classifieds forum will be complaining that we're making even more money off of them if we ever round up.

Flat fee. its the way to go I think.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I can do that but I can't comment for how accurate it will be at first. How about tying fees to their reputation?

·
27,899 Posts
I can do that but I can't comment for how accurate it will be at first. How about tying fees to their reputation?
absolutely. reps are important - that's the only way people know who they are buying from.

·
0 Posts
I can Manage the whole system through my pay pal, All payments would be made through my account, i would strip out the fee and and process the payment. And anyone stupid enough to deal outside the system would get a lifetime Ip address based ban.

·
27,899 Posts
here's another thing you can do, thanasi - people have been using this site for years to save money on their cars (or using it to find ways to spend more money on their cars!), so why not start charging people to use the website? I'm sure a cost tradeoff analysis would show it's easily worth $5/month, and you can direct charge people via their credit card account.

you just have to make sure their credit card numbers are held secret, tho - and I'm sure you can make sure of that just like any other biz (and do better than any of these big firms who lose people's credit card numbers to hackers...).

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
gotta remember though us mods can list for free, along with staffers.

Maybe let the potm post for free just that month..

everyone else's posts will create enough income stream.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts