Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you driven one yet? I am curious to know how they ride. ONce they release the manual transmission in August in the States I will be test drive one, but will never part with my 4motion B5.5. I also have a 2000 V40 that I bought new. I understand they really improved the handling. My V40 is stiffer than my Passat but doesn't handle as well or feel nearly as good.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I wonder if these new 40s are still made in Holland (not in Sweden) and share platform with a Mitsubishi like the first series did.

I drove a 2002 for a few weeks and found it to be fine. Nothing to write home about... as almost every Volvo, it felt dull.

The new ones look awesome, really nice indeed.

Everytime I see a new Maxima, Accord, S40 or even new Audis I remind myself that the current Passat is almost 10 years old.

I'm saving for the 2005 Passat. When it comes out the catch-up game will be back on!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
renato said:
I wonder if these new 40s are still made in Holland (not in Sweden) and share platform with a Mitsubishi like the first series did.....
The S40 uses the next generation european Focus chassis, which is shared with the Mazda 3. Since Ford owns Volvo, there will be no more Mitsubishi designed Volvo's, and now that DC is dumping Mitsubishi, there may not be anymore Mitsubuishi's at all.

·
Registered
544 Posts
They are nice cars, but a little overpriced for a small "Volvo" w/ modest horsepower figures (around $37k for a fully fully loaded T5 FWD). Just be careful when checking the option boxes and you should be fine. :)

In this size and price range, I think I would look to the far east. :wink:
The new Acura TSX, TL and Infiniti G35/G35X are all such compelling cars IMO.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Everytime I see a new Maxima, Accord, S40 or even new Audis I remind myself that the current Passat is almost 10 years old.
1998 to 2004 = 6

6 is almost 10 ? how so?

You exagerate stuff just like my girlfriend .

Sorry, Passat fan here..........

·
Registered
544 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
1998 to 2004 = 6

6 is almost 10 ? how so?

Actually, count again. MY1998-MY2004 makes 7 model years. The Passat went on sale in the U.S. in late 1997 as a 1998 model. If you count Europe, where the Passat was available approx. 1 year earlier, that makes 8 years.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
1998 to 2004 = 6

6 is almost 10 ? how so?

Yeh, I remind myself that my car is almost 5 years old, too. But then I get another compliment on it while I'm out and about--people think it's "the new Audi". :p For this reason, I can't get rid of it quite yet.

You should hold onto yours for a little bit more, get a new front end for it, and see what happens. If not, then good thing you're staying European and not switching over to Brand X (i.e. Acura, etc.)

·
Registered
544 Posts
SDPassatT said:
1.8Tabamoura said:
1998 to 2004 = 6

6 is almost 10 ? how so?

Yeh, I remind myself that my car is almost 5 years old, too. But then I get another compliment on it while I'm out and about--people think it's "the new Audi". :p For this reason, I can't get rid of it quite yet.

You should hold onto yours for a little bit more, get a new front end for it, and see what happens. If not, then good thing you're staying European and not switching over to Brand X (i.e. Acura, etc.)
So, what I just got from your post is you're a Euro-snob. You take pride in the fact that your Passat is mistaken for an Audi and discourage people from buying "Brand X (i.e. Acura,etc.)" even though Brand X may offer a car w/ better handling, reliability and feature content at a cost comparable to a GLX Passat.

Heck, I own a Passat, but there are better choices on the market today. There's no shame in admitting it, but then again I don't derive some secret pleasure from driving a car that is often mistaken for its more expensive and dynamically superior German counterpart.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
jwaters943 said:
They are nice cars, but a little overpriced for a small "Volvo" w/ modest horsepower figures (around $37k for a fully fully loaded T5 FWD). Just be careful when checking the option boxes and you should be fine. :)

In this size and price range, I think I would look to the far east. :wink:
The new Acura TSX, TL and Infiniti G35/G35X are all such compelling cars IMO.
I got to drive them at the Volvo Drive event about 3 weeks ago. Its a seriouse improvment over the previouse gen one. Manual is smooth, though the clutch could be a little stronger.

I was going to link to my previouse post, but "search" seems to be down.

one thing to note on the price, sure it is pricey fully loaded (thought I didn't think it went all the way to $37g's) the S40 T5 starts at $26 nicely equipt.

I would highly consider it over a TSX, A4 1.8t ect...

-Nick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry guy got to move on. want to get the audi a4 but too expensive here compere to the s40 t5. after test driving it, me and my friends decided to make the booking. it is very nice to drive. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just drove a V40 1.9T to Riverside from Sacto and back on I-5 - never again! Definitely not fit for freeway cruising. Motor is quieter than the 1.8T, but not as smooth. Has less turbo lag, however. Probably a great car in the twisties...

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
jwaters943 said:
SDPassatT said:
1.8Tabamoura said:
1998 to 2004 = 6

6 is almost 10 ? how so?

So, what I just got from your post is you're a Euro-snob. You take pride in the fact that your Passat is mistaken for an Audi and discourage people from buying "Brand X (i.e. Acura,etc.)" even though Brand X may offer a car w/ better handling, reliability and feature content at a cost comparable to a GLX Passat.

Heck, I own a Passat, but there are better choices on the market today. There's no shame in admitting it, but then again I don't derive some secret pleasure from driving a car that is often mistaken for its more expensive and dynamically superior German counterpart.
Thats not what i got, all i got is him saying that the Passat styling is not old and still resembles a newer looking car. Therefore he doesnt want to trade his since people already think it is new.
Sorry for the hijack

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We test drove one a couple of weekends ago. Overall impression seemed cheap, and I mean cheap. The dash was horrible, the A/C sounded like a friggin jet plane (not good), and the driver visiblity was less than stellar. The one we drove was priced @ $33K.

Needless to say we walked next door and bought a G35...

EDIT: I should say that we drove the s40, A4, G35, TSX, and TL. Would have seriously considered the TL if it came in the color combo she wanted. Of all of those, the s40 is at the bottom of the list.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
mnelson said:
We test drove one a couple of weekends ago. Overall impression seemed cheap, and I mean cheap. The dash was horrible, the A/C sounded like a friggin jet plane (not good), and the driver visiblity was less than stellar. The one we drove was priced @ $33K.

Needless to say we walked next door and bought a G35...

EDIT: I should say that we drove the s40, A4, G35, TSX, and TL. Would have seriously considered the TL if it came in the color combo she wanted. Of all of those, the s40 is at the bottom of the list.
MNelson,

Just to clarify, did you drive a new 2004.5 S40?

-Nick

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
15 Participants
mnelson
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing