Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, being a novice...but spurned on by all the threads I now have a series of mods I'm going to "try" do myself. However, I have a small one and I need help. How do you change the shifter knob. I tried unscrewing it, but it the knob, and the entire piece of metal (I assume) which screws into the shifter. Does shift number piece (on top of the shifter) pop off, exposing a screw? Or am I completely automotively incompetent?

·
Registered
62 Posts
What year car and what transmission type do you have? I am assuming that you're talking about a 5-speed manual. I think the B5 and B5.5 are different in this regard. B5's have a threaded design.

On my 2003 GL, I had to lift the shift boot over the shifter and expose the metal clamp which ties the knob and boot assembly to the shifter rod. I then had to loosen the clamp. Once that was done, the whole thing just pulled up. I think if you're only changing the knob, you have to detach the shift boot from the existing knob and use it with the new knob. I changed the whole assembly on my car, so I didn't have to do this last part.

The shift number piece up on top is glued down to the shift knob. You can pry it off, but it won't help you in removing the shift knob.

The instructions in the linked thread helped me.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76136&highlight=

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shifter knob

alibid said:
What year car and what transmission type do you have? I am assuming that you're talkign about a 5-speed manual. I think the B5 and B5.5 are different in this regard. B5's have a threaded design.

On my 2003 GL, I had to lift the shift boot over the shifter and expose the metal clamp which ties the knob and boot assembly to the shifter rod. I then had to loosen the clamp. Once that was done, the whole thing just pulled up. I think if you're only changing the knob, you have to detach the shift boot from the existing knob and use it with the new knob. I chanegd the whole assembly on my car.

The shift number piece up on top is glued down to the shift knob. You can pry it off, but it won't help you.
She's a 1998 B5, manual transmission. I tried to unscrew the knob, but it removed the knob and the shifter rod. I thought the I had three separate components, the shift knob, the rod, and the shifter itself.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Even for the novice, Club B5 comes through. Just another mode I'm subliminally inclined to complete.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
rwaller71
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing