Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery died for the first time after about 3 years and now it's just completely gone. I bought myself an optima dry cell battery to accomidate the ICE better. Anyway i was just wondering if there are any cautions that i may want to be aware of? can i just use a metal socket wrench to disconnect everything? or am i going to be electricuted? Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Normally you should plug a 9 volt battery into the lighter to maintain the codes, but they may already be gone. Disconnect the negative (ground) wire first, then the positive wire. By disconnecting the ground first you eliminate the chance of sparks were you to ground the positive terminal with the ground still connected to the battery. You will have to fabricate a holddown with most Optimas. Meatl wrenches are fine so long as you disconnec the ground first (hook it back up last)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Don't mean to hijack but; When I changed my battery I lost all my radio stations!!
Why the hell did this happen? :???: :(
sorry Enjoytheride :roll:

·
Registered
477 Posts
The 12 Volt battery won't kill you don't worry...

Only draw backs is the Optima is 1/3 smaller than the Stock battery., you have to do a custom battery mount to secure the battery.

And the pole of the battery is on the opposite side ., so your - wire might be very tight... but it WILL fit...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mtimmy said:
The 12 Volt battery won't kill you don't worry...

Only draw backs is the Optima is 1/3 smaller than the Stock battery., you have to do a custom battery mount to secure the battery.

And the pole of the battery is on the opposite side ., so your - wire might be very tight... but it WILL fit...
Do you have any suggestions on how to secure the smaller battery?

·
Registered
464 Posts
search Ebay, there is a guy that makes custom billet holddowns for optima batteries. you might try one of the universal holddown kits or try a marine battery holddown. Does optima have anything? it is their battery that causes the problem, maybe they have something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing