Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to change the height of the peddles on a 5spd manual? I would like to have the clutch, brake, gas, and dead peddles on the same plane. The clutch and the brake are too high and they need to be set back about 1in. Don't want to bend anything if I don't have to looking for an easy way without wrecking brakes or clutch.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't think you can bend them since I think they are plastic(gas pedal atleast). This is the first I have heard anyone wanting to do this on a Passat.

I wouldn't want the gas/brake on the some level as this could lead to pushing both pedals at the some time. Not a good thing unless you are trying to "heel/Toe".

·
Registered
108 Posts
BKVR6 said:
I wouldn't want the gas/brake on the some level as this could lead to pushing both pedals at the some time. Not a good thing unless you are trying to "heel/Toe".
The only reason to do it for sure, but a good question none the less. i'm just starting to practice heel/toe in the last few weeks and i must admit, the gas pedal being that far underneath the brake makes it really tough, you have to mash the brake pedal down to even get your foot on the gas simultaneously.

A thicker and wider gas pedal would help but if its part of a set im sure the brake will be proportionally thicker. love to hear if anyones got a info for mechanical adjustment of the height of the gas pedal.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jeffbaynard said:
I agree, the accelerator pedal is too low compared to the brake.
I wonder if you could 'raise' the accelerator pedal instead?
It isn't just the accelerator though it is also the dead pedal. The way I see it is the clutch engages and disengages in the first 2in anyway the brake is about 3in above the floor when it is fully compressed there should be something we can do to at least get them closer.

Maybe get a set of pedals from a salvage yard and play with them until it is just right. Then post instructions on what we did. I am going to be looking around for a yard in SO CAL when I am there next month maybe I could pick some up.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I suspect, but have no evidence to support my premise, that the reason the pedals (gas and brake) are so widely different in height is to avoid problems with "unintended acceleration."

Here's a solution:

J/K (I think).

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They don't have to be exactly on the same plane just closer to it than they are now. Within a 1/4in would be fine. I am going to look into it to see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Whatnow said:
It isn't just the accelerator though it is also the dead pedal. The way I see it is the clutch engages and disengages in the first 2in anyway the brake is about 3in above the floor when it is fully compressed there should be something we can do to at least get them closer.
Yeah but with heel/toe aren't you only concerned with the 2 pedals you have to control with one foot: brake/gas? I dont see the advantage in having the clutch height matched up with the dead pedal, especially if your left foot is only controlling the clutch without messing with the other pedals, my foot is only chillin on the dead pedal when im cruising, if i'm out driving with spirit then my left toe rarely leaves the vicinity of the clutch.

if the b5.5 pedal height is more aligned with the brake, then isn't that a possible swap right there?

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
treadstone said:
I dont see the advantage in having the clutch height matched up with the dead pedal, especially if your left foot is only controlling the clutch without messing with the other pedals, my foot is only chillin on the dead pedal when im cruising, if i'm out driving with spirit then my left toe rarely leaves the vicinity of the clutch.
The advantage isn't during spirited driving it is when the unexpexted comes up and your foot is chillen on the dead pedal. If something comes up and you must quickly hit the brake and the clutch, sometimes, moving my foot from the dead pedal to the clutch quickly, my foot will get caught on the clutch and I have to move it back then lift farther up then pver then down on the clutch. I know it isn't as pronounced now as when I first got my first Passat but every other car I have had the clutch and the dead pedal were more alined than they are in my Passat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts