Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
The GREEK said:
pete1 said:
What about some forums being members-only access? Say off-topic or black-hole?
Not even a week ago I changed the settings of those forums so only registered members, that are logged in, can read them.
I know. I use to send links to my friend since some of the threads are classic. Wanted to share the fun. NOW...... :cry:

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
OCTICK said:
The GREEK said:
pete1 said:
What about some forums being members-only access? Say off-topic or black-hole?
Not even a week ago I changed the settings of those forums so only registered members, that are logged in, can read them.
I know. I use to send links to my friend since some of the threads are classic. Wanted to share the fun. NOW...... :cry:
Its only temporary...

·
Registered
331 Posts
A forum I think that would be helpful to all is one just for photos. It could be broken down into overall cars, wheels, suspension, exterior, interior etc. etc.... Something like this would help out all looking for pics. The request for pics seem to be a common topic. Keep it just for photos with a caption. You'd have to PM to ask any questions or comment. Also you could lower the number of posts per page for quicker loading. Just a thought. Thanks for the community. An extremely invaluable service for all. I've definately benefited from this place. The Jesusland picture was worth the price of admission alone.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think people have a lot of good ideas about adding lots of forums and sub-forums, but I would caution about making it too complicated. I just recently started visiting a civic forum :eek:h: on behalf of one of my friends who's not too mechanically or informationally inclined. IT was a bloody mess. There were so many places to go, I just gave up. I think the clean and simple organization has some value. Plus you can learn lots of unexpectedthings just browsing through topics you may have never thought to look in. just my thoughts. You all have done a wonderful job maintaining this site to date, I have no reason to suspect you won't keep it up. Thank you for all your hard work.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
julianfang said:
coloradob5 said:
Also what about a section on the VW aftermarket and garage marketplace? We could list places to get things like parts and services in your local area and on the web. It would be the mother of all link and service resources.

For example, how many times have you seen someone asking for a mechanic in a local area or someone looking for a hard to find part. Just a thought.
I second this idea and supplementing it with mod friendly dealerships, shops, and inspection sites :)
I third the idea. I'm very new to the community, as I bought a used B5.5 one month ago. I found this place in search of advice and knowledge, and will continue to stay here to learn more.

A forum covering dealerships, service places, buying advice, etc. would be great.

Thanks! Keep up the good work!

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Syncroq5 said:
I think people have a lot of good ideas about adding lots of forums and sub-forums, but I would caution about making it too complicated. I just recently started visiting a civic forum :eek:h: on behalf of one of my friends who's not too mechanically or informationally inclined. IT was a bloody mess. There were so many places to go, I just gave up. I think the clean and simple organization has some value. Plus you can learn lots of unexpectedthings just browsing through topics you may have never thought to look in. just my thoughts. You all have done a wonderful job maintaining this site to date, I have no reason to suspect you won't keep it up. Thank you for all your hard work.
I completely agree with you. We're only planning to break down the general discussion forum into something like : technical, interior and exterior.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is a great site and I sometimes just browse around to learn more about B5.5s and share experiences. I was wondering what would happen to it with the end of production of the B5.5s and am delighted that is has a future!
I totally agree with the last posting. The proposed structure looks pretty clean and should work well. The only drawbacks of the existing one I have found are: Group Buys and Classifieds causing double postings and searching two forums to find everything. A similar situation sometimes arises between General, Wheels and General, Electronics. You find postings for the same topic in both forums. But doing away with the General forum should fix that.

Great work, Thank you!

·
Registered
551 Posts
when's this change going down? within the week? or within the month/year?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The GREEK said:
triptronic said:
will the look be the same?
I like the look
Pretty much, except for the style of the new software. We're going to use:
www.vbulletin.com
That looks really good. Thanasi, gietl uses that same forum software at RMCB5.com so you should check with him as to some of the mods (hehe) he had to do to it to protect it from hackers and other potentially big issues. He has put a lot of work into it and you may be able to save yourself some time getting it up.

I dig it though, very user friendly and also great for customizing formats.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
We actually don't use VBulletin but PHP-Nuke with PHPBB which is a ported version of the forums currently used here, but I do frequent www.binderbulletin.org which has used it for a few years. VBulletin is great, but is very resource intensive and requires dedicated hosting which I'm sure CB5 has with the amount of users and access.

Can't wait to see the updated forums!!! Thanks again for keeping up such an awesome resource!

·
Registered
10 Posts
coloradob5 wrote:

Also what about a section on the VW aftermarket and garage marketplace? We could list places to get things like parts and services in your local area and on the web. It would be the mother of all link and service resources.

For example, how many times have you seen someone asking for a mechanic in a local area or someone looking for a hard to find part. Just a thought.

I second this idea and supplementing it with mod friendly dealerships, shops, and inspection sites

:bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Any chance you can get the thread titles into the html page title? I've got a bunch of bookmarks for specific threads but have to rename them as they're all "CLUB B5 - VW Passat"... might be software dependent, but if you get the option to set it, please do.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The only point I would add to this discussion is that developing the forum with multiple sub-forums is more intensive on server performance or something to that effect. (and geeze I'm cautiously optimistic that you guys will come up with a better name to refer to the new car other than PD46 or whatever...) :oops: :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't know if any of you have ever been to www.team-integra.net? I think the set up they have there is by far the easiest I've ever come across. They have a lot of cool features like local forums that group the members into a second forum just people from each state. (I know that's kinda hard to read) They have everything from local shop reviews in each local forum to a huge member directory listed by state. You don't need a membership to check out most of the site so go for it if you'd like to see what I mean. :)

Just my .02 :thumbup:

Mike

41 - 59 of 59 Posts