Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Passat had the rotten "Hankook" OEM tires 235x45x18. Tires were quite noisy. I also did not like those tiny "45" sidewalls and cannot see how some people run tires so low it's ridiculous, they might as well run on the rims.

After doing a fair amount of research I changed to General Altimax RT 43 tires. New size 235x55x18. Had to remove rear 15mm spacers and front 12mm spacers. On many of the roads I use the extra sidewall creates more of a cushion and a lot of the bumps I used to feel have smoothed out. Also since every VW has a speedometer which reads optimistically high, changing to the larger tire the speedometer now is bang on as measured with a Garmin GPS.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm not sure I would trust Garmin figures. That's almost a 7 percent increase in tire diameter. It seems unlikely the speedo was off that much.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I would trust Garmin figures. That's almost a 7 percent increase in tire diameter. It seems unlikely the speedo was off that much.
When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 64.1mph (103.2km/h) But since VW's read about 5% higher than actual speed I can live with it. Yeah I guess your right I shouldn't trust my Garmin's, very unreliable equipment. I only drive with my Garmin for 10's of 1,000's kilometers or miles every year. Strangely enough those roadside speed readouts you see around construction zones jive up exactly with what my Garmin reads.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use this wheel/tire comparator to see the difference in sizes and how it may apply to you.
Different models Passat have different rim sizes too. Big PIA to post pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts