Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I got NGK PFR6Q spark plugs for my 99 1.8T from parts4vw.com and when I changed them, the car wouldn't start - kept sputtering! Now the old plugs in there were Bosch and had 3 tips while the NGK plugs had 1 tip. Have I been supplied an incorrect plug by parts4VW?

Secondly, now that I put in the old plugs back ... my CEL is on -- I am hoping this is due to emissions as there might have been some burning of oil as I put the old plugs back?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Trekker

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sharky?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Trekker said:
What exactly does pregapping mean?
Using a special tool to set the gap between the (+) and (-) electrodes to a specific distance. Some plugs come with that distance already set correctly. Others require "pre-gapping".

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so the triple tipped vs single tipped should not have any effect?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'd doublecheck your work
Yep, also make sure you didn't accidently brush against any hoses and disconnect them. Those plugs should work fine. Check for hiarline cracks maybe in the porcelin part of the plug. I did it once 10 years ago with an old Pontiac engine. Spark plug got dropped somehow and th car ran horribly. Ended up being a hairline crack in the plug. Just a thought.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jbarstow said:
Is there any chance you crossed a plug wire with another one? (the wrong firing order.)
Nope. Did them one by one.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
My guess is that one or more of the little screw on knobs on the top of the plug didn't get screwed on well enough (or at all). Coil packs might not be making contact with the plug.

I did that the first time I changed the plugs out in my last car :oops:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I had this happen after when installing plugs about 2 years ago. I had one drop off the engine bay onto the floor. Stupid me just installed it and the car missed/sputtered for two days until I just replaced all of the plugs again with Denso platinums. Must have cracked it somewhere but still couldn't see it after I pulled all of them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
danteshors said:
Car runs ok when you put the old ones back in but just gives a CEL?
Yup. I'm running with the old plugs. CEL is now gone after a few restarts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
danteshors said:
Sounds like a cracked plug.
Sounds more like the plugs need to be gapped, or are not making good contact with the coils. If there was just one bad plug then the car still should have started.

When you compare the old and new plug side-by-side was the only difference the number of electrodes??

Like someone mentioned in a post above, make sure all the little metal pieces that screw on the plugs were installed and tight.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If it's running fine now, I would install the plugs one at a time, start the car, and then do the next.....

Of course, you know you will end up installing all 4 with no problems and you'll never find out what really caused the problem. :crazy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.