Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to do both my cars, A4 and Passat, on the same day. I figured might as well go through pain all at once. Here's a summary of my experience. First a list of what I used.

Oil - M1 0W40 (very hard to find in my area)
Filter - Napa, not the big kahuna, just regular one
Wheel ramps to raise the car

I started with my A4. What a pain in the butt. Two belly pans versus one on the Passat. Filter wouldn't budge. Used an oil filter claw and ended up ripping a hole in the filter before it twisted off. Needless to say once I had the hole oil went everywhere even with the bag around the filter. Total time was about an hour and yes I drew blood.

Next up was the Passat. After the pain of the A4 I wasnt' looking forward to this one. To my surprise things went very smoothly and it took less than 30 minutes. Ended up using a grocery bag instead of a zip lock to catch the filter. Filter twisted off much easier than the A4's did.

Couple of questions and observations:
1. Dealer's oil came out and was very thin and black for both cars. Mental note, stop getting oil changed at Dealer, but if you must in the case of the Audi, bring your own oil.
2. What's the normal amount of oil required. I put in a little over 3 1/2 quarts. This seemd kind of low to me, but the dip stick measurement was fine.
3. When using ramps with a 5-speed, please have a spotter. It was very tricky getting the car up on the ramps. Everytime I lifted the clutch the car came rolling back down. I didn't want to give it too much gas and end up parked in my kitchen. The auto in my Passat was breeze to park on the ramps. Just be careful.
4. When taking the belly pan off from underneath the car have on some type of eye protection. There's plenty of debris that kept falling in my face including the quarter I was using to remove the screws.

Definitely worth doing if you have the time.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
what model car do you have ( engine in partular)

did you start the car up before checking the dipstick

i know with the v6 you can do almost the entire change with out rasing the car not "pretty" but not hard either ( you can also use the jack if you need some wrench room ( never get under the car on a jack)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 02 Audi A4 1.8T FWD and an 03 Passat GLS 1.8T.

Audi has sport suspension so I can't fit my big head underneath to remove the belly pans. The ramps are needed. I have jack stands but the ramps are so much easier. Thought about the oil extractor, but it's not too bad like this. The only other thing I might get is a floor tray with wheels that I can lay down on.

I'm going to check the level again today and add if neccessary.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I use the black plastic Rhino Ramps available just about everywhere, and they have a detent in them that your tires just sit in, so you don't have to worry about your car sliding all the way back down the ramp. In fact, the instructions tell you to put the car in neutral, and release the brake, just to make sure things are seated properly. After all, you REALLY don't want to rely on the brakes to keep your car from crushing you.

SirWired

1 - 6 of 6 Posts