Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 B5.5 2.8L V6 wagon, and just replaced all for corners. Took it for a test drive and it stops great, but when I took my foot off the pedal and started to go again it was kind of sluggish. I put my foot under the break pedal and it lifted about 1/4" and then started to coast properly. Repeated, with the same results. Tested with the cruise control and it stayed on for about 4-7mins and then cruise control would get turned off by the brake acting as if it was depressed slightly. Repeated with same results...Time did increase between cruise failures after about 30 minutes. When I parked it, got out and walked behind the car and the brake lights were on. Pulled up on the pedal and the brake lights went off, and since it started yesterday morning, stayed off. Then yesterday I went to work and didn't notice the brake lights were on, so when I came out at 5pm the battery was dead. Car started this morning, but I don't want to keep playing hide and go seek with the brake lights.

Does anyone have an idea of what has happened? It worked just fine before the new brakes were installed.

Thanks for your help!

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,102 Posts
Make sure it is not being depressed so far that it catches on the knee bolster.

Did you bleed the brakes at all? It is supposed to be flushed every 2 years....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it is not catching the knee bolster, and we did not bleed the brakes because we didn't open the system. We will be doing that this weekend and I will get back to you if the problem persists. Thank you.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,102 Posts
So it is not catching the knee bolster, and we did not bleed the brakes because we didn't open the system. We will be doing that this weekend and I will get back to you if the problem persists. Thank you.
Any check engine light?

By the way, bleeding the brakes probably won’t fix the issue about the pedal staying down. It is recommended anyway, though.

I’d be looking at the booster and it’s vacuum supply if it persists.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts