Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have spelled that wrong, but anyways, I bought one of these cloths to dry off the B5 after the wash...Ummm, am I just horribly dumb, or did I buy a crappy brand, because that thing just wouldn't dry the car. It just kinda moved the water around. Was I supposed to treat it first or something? It really hurt the ol self esteem when i'm sitting here with the apparent ultimate drying tool, and it doesn't dry...What am I doing wrong?
-Ryan

·
Registered
325 Posts
Keep wringing it out, till its almost dry every time it starts doing that. It'll take off all the excess water on the surface so you don't have any spotting. I use mine only to dry the car.

A friend of mine recently bought a cleaning tool that goes on the garden hose. its from Mr. Kleen and has 3 modes, wash, soak and dry. Your car shampoo goes in a container and comes out with the spray. The drying mode filters the water to a fine mist and pushes off all the excess surface water. We hardly had to use a chamois ater that and the car(s) dried with no streaking or spotting. Its amazing and I'll pick one up soon. He got his at Target.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Make sure before you use it to wash it like 5 times with warm water and dish soap... had the same problem and that seemed to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You did thoroughly soak the chamois first ... did you?? Oddly enough a dry chamois will not dry. You soak it first and then squeeze the excess water out. Nothing dries and leaves a streak free shine like chamois. 8)

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
The best imitation chamouis is the Absorber from Wal Mart .. it takes a little breaking in but after 5 wash dryings it gets better. When I was using them I did hang it to dry .. it says keep it damp but it will milldew.

If you want to go a step beyond use a waffle waeve mocrofiber towel to finish dry .. Pre dry withthe Absorber by holding it by 2 corners and drag it over the car to pull off most the water then use the WW.

WW is available from Ranney at www.pakshak.com

Another hint to make drying easier .. take the nozzle off the hose when done washing and with a gentle stream of water hose the car down... this will pull off about 75% of the water from a waxed car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
unfortunately, my experience with the chamois has shown that price is relevant, as is age. Nothing works as well as my father's old, ratty, real sheepskin chamois fro who knows when. If you bought recently, and didn't get a real sheepskin, toss it, they have been worthless in my hands. On a recommendation [while buying a new chamois from them] I tried a "big blue towel' . it is microfiber, works very well, and in FL it dries quickly, so no mold problems.
check out
http://www.properautocare.com/wash---dry.html

for several options on chamois, and the big blue towel

gersting

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd like to put in a second recommendation for the Absorber. I've been using them for a few years now on my bikes and cars, and they work better than any chamois I've used.

It doesn't hurt that they cost a quarter of what a real chamois does, as well.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The Absorber is great!!!!

Jesstzn, you need not dry it out since it is completely synthetic and will not mildew. It is better that it is kept wet, just store it in the tube it came with and store the tube in a dry place.

·
4,974 Posts
RL331 said:

Jesstzn, you need not dry it out since it is completely synthetic and will not mildew. It is better that it is kept wet, just store it in the tube it came with and store the tube in a dry place.
Ahem .. trust me .. it will .. I have had I bet 8 of them .. and currently have 3 .. if used weekly your prolly fine but leave them a bit .. they will. mildew doesn't care if its synthetic or not. I have had one do it .. but I wash in most cases 3 times a week .. others may not ..

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Jesstzn said:
RL331 said:

Ahem .. trust me .. it will .. I have had I bet 8 of them .. and currently have 3 .. if used weekly your prolly fine but leave them a bit .. they will. mildew doesn't care if its synthetic or not. I have had one do it .. but I wash in most cases 3 times a week .. others may not ..
I guess I do use it a lot so maybe never realize that if kept unused it will do it.

·
4,974 Posts
But to me the Absorber is the best all round drying cloth unless your into total swirl free pristine finishes. I have 3 .. one for pre drying .. 1 for doors/trunk edges and dash interior wipedowns and also one for wheels/ engine .. I used to buy a new one every year and delegate the oldest to the garbage and move each one down a job.

Right now because of my paint I use Microfiber .. but thats not for everyone ..

They also last like crazy .. I was 3+ times a week in the spring/summer/fall

·
4,974 Posts
crzyc said:
I just ordered a California Water Blade for drying
They are good .. keep the edge well wiped down .. they are known to pick up dust and scratch the clear .. will be fine if you have a light colored car. You still need to dry with a cloth after .. it doesn't get 100% of the water.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Chamois works OK, but the Absorber is a much better product and lasts much longer (been using the same one for over 3 yrs). Recently I have switched from the Absorber to Microtex Microfiber Towel from Wally World (about $5-6). Microfiber Towel works much better than the Absorber :shock: , I was able to dry the entire car without having to wring the towel once.

Won't go back to either the Absorber or chamois ... Good stufff, give it a try :thumbup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jesstzn said:
crzyc said:
I just ordered a California Water Blade for drying
They are good .. keep the edge well wiped down .. they are known to pick up dust and scratch the clear .. will be fine if you have a light colored car. You still need to dry with a cloth after .. it doesn't get 100% of the water.
It worked great on my white jetta. Now I won't even let it touch the paint on my black jetta, after two uses, I saw loads of scratches. I am still trying to find the right drying tool. Towels leave lint and swirl marks, while my absorber leaves water behind... I may have to try that big blue microfiber towel.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Jesstzn said:
They also last like crazy .. I was 3+ times a week in the spring/summer/fall

:shock: I wash my baby maybe, ah, once every 1-2 months... man, save some water for LIVING things! :D

I had a real deerskin chamois until it started to flake on my car. The new, FAKE, ones do that too, until you break them in. I believe mine isn't a Walmart or no-name brand chamois, so it doesn't leave swirls, but I don't think that the brand matters anyway. Well, even if it did, I wouldn't see it because my W8 is silver. :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
theRockShow & I use this thing we got from ACE hardware . . its like a sponge wrapped in chamois . . looks like a brown piece of swiss cheese . . dont exactly remember the name but they work GREAT!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Clayed mine today and use the MF towels to wash and dry. Bought an orbital buffer from Advance to wax the car. By the time I was finished I had a small crowd admiring the shine. Claying really works wonders. Those MF towels are great also, won't go back to the chamois anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
16 Participants
00Psst
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing