Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to posting some pic's of my 2001.5 1.8T Silverstone Gray GLS. Hope you enjoy :lol:

Modifications:
K&N Drop in Air Filter
Wett Chip 1 bar
Eibach Pro-Kit
ASA JS5 18's
35% side window tint, 25% Rear window tint
Panasonic CD changer
NB sunglass holder
1.8T badge
Chrome dash kit

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Nice! :thumbup:

Welcome to another corn country dweller!

Tell me about your tint - where did you get your tint done and did they do a good job? I am trying to scope out a good tint place either in I.C. or C.R.

Also, how is the Wett chip? I was thinking about getting that one because it is less expensive than many of the other chips.

How is the Eibach kit working on the streets around here? I was thinking about going with the 1BE because of the crappy gravel roads I have to frequent.

-Shriner

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the tint done at Advanced Tinting Solutions 1127 10th St. NW. This was a guy who was just getting started and he actually did the tint out of his garage. He was suppose to be gettin a shop open at some point but I don't know if he has or not. He did a really good. He had worked for some other window tinting places here in town and decided to open his own shop. I have 50% tint in the back and 35% tint on the front and sides. It's dark enough to look nice and keep the sun out yet the cops can still see in.

I have enjoyed the Wett chip. Like you I was looking for something affordable. The Wett chip seemed like the way to go. It is very easy to remove when I take it to the dealer. The Iowa City dealer doesn't care but the ones up here in CR don't know I have it. The car still under warranty so I don't leave it in when I take it to the shop. I haven't had any problems and it does give it quite a bit more kick. It is a lot touchier in the lower rev limits takes a little getting use to but very fun.

The Eibach kit is fine around here. I still have the stock dampers. The benefits of the Eibach from my standpoint was a much better look becaue the car is lower. Starts and stops are very noticeable as well because it stays pretty level. On the original springs I noticed a lot of dipping when I stopped. It still floats over bumps a bit because of the stock dampers. So while it is stiff it has a little more cusion that you might think.

Great to here from anther B5 member in corn country. Good luck with your car and let me know how the mods are coming.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thanks for the info on the tint, can you tell me how much he charged and what kind of tint he uses?

So the I.C. dealer (Carousel) is "chip friendly" then?

I just installed the VW mud guards last weekend (gravel roads) and I just got done doing the jack pads. The mud gaurds were easy to do with the rear wheels off. A couple of the jack pads were tough to put in but I got them all in with the help of a 1" PVC pipe-fitting and they seem to work nicely. Should make it easier to install my new rear rotors and Axxis Deluxe Plus brake pads this weekend. (My rear brakes are making very embarrassing grinding noises :oops: )

Good luck to you and have fun modding.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LLumar window film is what I installed. Hey just looked at the receipt that I have and it looks like it was ATR35CH on the front and side windows and ATR15CH on the rear. So I was wrong before it is 35% tint on sides and 15% tint on rears. It cost me $239. It wasn't the top of the line window tint. It will fade over time but will not turn purple like the cheap window tint. I had installed the Platinum Plus on a BMW 325i and paid a pretty penny. I actually think what I have now looks better.

And yes I would say Carousel is "chip friendly". :) I had called them before I came and they said it would be no problem. They have the software needed to still run the diagnostics. Cedar Rapids dealer said they wouldn't even touch it. Carousel still will need to have you put the old chip back in if they have any upgrades but will not overight the Wett chip.

I'd love to get some new brakes. After installing the 18 in wheels I think the car feels a little heavier and takes a little longer to stop. I'll have to wait on the brakes though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts