Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi, just saw your post this evening. I'm way over in Washington and can't come to you or else I would ;).
I have a post in the B5 forum "2003 1.8 passat daughter needs her car back". Would you mind reading through this and see if you can suggest anything for me?

Stethascope found loudest to be right behind o2 sensor on what looks to be tha cat shield. I can't for the likes of me figure out my problem. Also along with the knocking and rough idle is a whisper of smoke from the part in front of the o2 sensor. Bad flex pipe, seal?

Thank you in advance if you do pop over and make a suggestion or 3.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
we need someone like you in the bay area, CA.
all of the vag mechanics here are cut throat and always are looking to make the most money from someone.
i have yet to find a honest reasonable vag mechanic. the one i thought was reasonable ended up charging me OEM price for some cheap FEQ strut mounts that are $8 on ecs tuning. he charged me $65/ea + labor and they are horrible, make squeaking noises and are worse than my 10 year old OEM ones i had replaced.

can someone clone this guy and bring him to the west coast?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have a 2005 VW passat wagon 1.8T, what do i need for a tune up exactly, i want the best brands to have my car running beautifully, i know sparkies should be NGK right?
Yes, definitely NGKs. If you are replacing the coil packs, I'd suggest genuine ones. You could always upgrade to the 2.0t ignition coils, which some 1.8t owners have done. There are a couple threads in the b5 section on it.

PM me if you'd like.

we need someone like you in the bay area, CA.
all of the vag mechanics here are cut throat and always are looking to make the most money from someone.
i have yet to find a honest reasonable vag mechanic. the one i thought was reasonable ended up charging me OEM price for some cheap FEQ strut mounts that are $8 on ecs tuning. he charged me $65/ea + labor and they are horrible, make squeaking noises and are worse than my 10 year old OEM ones i had replaced.

can someone clone this guy and bring him to the west coast?
People either bring their parts with them or ask me to get them. If I get them; I'll add a little on top for my time and the hassle, but I certainly don't mark things up like a shop would. NOR have I ever bought the cheapest part you could get and tried passing them off as genuine VW (or whatever) parts... That's really not right. I'd rather not lie to someone, lol. Plus it doesn't feel right getting a part for $4 then saying it costs $60.

I like to make suggestions as to what parts NEED or should be genuine dealer parts and what parts you can get away with getting aftermarket.

Too bad you don't like on the east coast. :cool:

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
shit John why didn't you say anything before I just stumbled accross this and had no idea you do this kind of stuff...

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
:icon_eek: I just figured to post this up and let it sit for everyone to see, lol.

Hopefully I get my own home soon, so that awkwardness of working at the place I rent goes away. :lol: Can't wait to have a lift at my own home garage!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Vag com!

I used my Vag-com on my girlfriends mkV Jetta today;

She can now use her switchblade key fob to open and close her windows and sunroof! All it took was a couple minutes and cost NOTHING!

Also changed her comfort turn signal blink count to 4 instead of the stock 3 blinks. Now I just have to figure out how to disable the DRL's so she doesn't have to keep buying h7 bulbs at $18 a piece every time they burn out.

These things can be done with all kinds of VW's and Audi's now. It's awesome. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Tested and replaced a starter on a Grand Cherokee two weeks ago; On the ground, on ice, in the peak of the Polar Vortex, in 6* with a windchill of -11....
That was rough. :crazy:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey John...I bought a few parts from you (test pipe and rain tray) and we met up at whatever exit that was on the GSP. Had no clue you worked on cars like this, but I did see the nice work you did on your B5. Can you PM me a price for a timing belt change on my 2000 B5 ATW? You can text if you still have my #. I have 202k on the odometer so I'm gonna need to get this done soon. I'd have to hang out while you did the work, but I can lend a hand by taking off the front bumper...I have some skills too ya know lol. Thanks man.

Brendan

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Bump for a great guy, :thumbup:
Thanks, Jack. It was nice seeing you. Hope your daughter loves Pablo's old car. :driving:

Mmmm, that fresh CV grease. Unloaded that whole tube in there. I dunno what's in it the grease, but that stuff sparkles in the sun like a metallic paint job, lol.

Hopefully I get a house soon and get proper garage space set up. :wrench:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi John,

I live nearby at the NJ shore and have a Jetta III that I would like to keep alive. Could you send me your contact information?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hey guys, I'm readily available to take on more work. :wrench:

Just picked up this shop press from a local mk1 Rabbit owner. Can be used to press out and in new wheel bearings, hubs, suspension bushings or whatever. :thumbup:
I love used tools. Shows they've been worked!

IMG_20140427_113155.jpg

21 - 40 of 47 Posts