Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Got a 2005 passat with a central locking problem. Have tried the search button but found nothing quite like my fault.

The only door that works randomly is the rear passenger one none of the rest. Using key or key fob, same result. The passenger door is stuck, cant open it using the handle from inside or the key fob. Checked the ccm and it was dry as was the surroundings. Had a swimmingpool in the battery compartment in the engine bay but its fixed, cleared the draining holes and used a heat gun to dry up the rest. Is there anything in that compartment that could be damaged? When using the key fob I can hear a weak buzzing, from the motor I assume, from the right rear door but nothing happen.

So, where do I start?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Daniel

·
Registered
262 Posts
Things that it could be:
lock actuators are shot
parts of lock/door handle mechanisms are seized (happened to my truck, on my passengers side, since I rarely use those doors)

the passenger door that does not work, can you pull the handles? do they just move with no resistance? if so time to pop off your panels, manually release the lock, then start lubricating things with something like sili-kroil.
you know those black discs on the side of your door, near the door handle/lock. that is access to lube those things so that they don't seize.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!

Thank you for your reply!

So you suggest to just replace them all then?

Does the driver door actuator control the others in any way or do they operate on their own?

Regards,
Daniel

·
Registered
262 Posts
First I would check to see what is causing the locks to not work. Step one is remove the panels so you can see what is going on. Youtube is your friend with tons of videos.
the actuators are easy to replace and relatively cheap, each door has its own.
Before you go ordering parts and things, i would again further investigate to see what is the actual problem. you might find out that its just some rust/salt that needs to be cleaned off some springs and the actuators are fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the tip! Been through most of the youtube videos so think I am able to tackle the job. Will get back as soon as I removed the door panels! Meanwhile, thanks!

·
Registered
26,468 Posts
Do all of the windows work? If not, that door may have a bad window module, not a lock module. I would try repairing any lock module. The bad window module will not allow the lock or speaker to work on B5.5. It's part of the door motor, but it can be pulled/replaced without taking the motor out. It's a circuit board held inside a cover with several plastic tabs. I bought a use motor and pulled the board out, then used that as the instructions for removing the one in the door. You will need long thin screwdrivers and picks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi!

Thanks for you input! Yes, the windows works as does the interior light and the indicators blinks when you activate and deactivate the alarm. Tested the doors again this evening and now all four doors are dead... The one that worked randomly has seized as well. Will try to tackle the job next week. All suggestions and thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
One question: So when you turn & hold the key in the unlock position do all of the windows go down?
2 turns to the unlock position should unlock all doors.
Holding the key in the lock position should roll all of the windows up, lock all doors and close the sunroof.
If not..............I have found multiple VWs with broken wires at the doors. Usually between the door and the door post and typically it is on the Driver's Side, so when I see issues like yours I check in that harness area first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi!

Thought I share the solution to this problem and in my case it was all four door locks that needed replacement. Now everything works fine! Thanks for all you help!

Regards,
Daniel

·
Registered
26,468 Posts
Wonder if the cold makes them fail earlier or if they degrade due to moisture and road salt. Mine work on all 3 Passats, even the one that has been in the rust belt (Ohio) the last 5 years. Oddly, our 05 Golf has all 4 door locks not working and it had been garaged most of it's life and rarely driven in snow.
how is Sweden with salting the roads?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi!

I "dissected" one of the locks and from whay I gather its a combination of dried out seals, water (high pressure washer?) vibration and bad solder joints that made the lock fail. One of the locks were literally dripping water when I removed it. We do use A LOT of salt in the southern parts of Sweden so that could be a contributing factor as well.

Regards,
Daniel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts