Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for all of you who have had the same annoying rattle emanating from the center of the dash behind the two center dash vents.

According to my dealer, and service guy (I trust) said that he had both heard it and seen what causes it...According to him it is where the dash meets the body...There apparently is a clip that clips part of the dash to the body where there is supposedly a metal ledge underneath the dash. He said that the clip comes loose and it's pretty common. He said that they shim it with a piece of tubing material that keeps constant tension on the ledge and dash piece, making the clip stay put and not rattle around. Took them all of a half hour to fix it...they took out the center vents is all..no dash disassembly or anything. :)

Nice job guys! Car is quiet...you can test for this rattle by tapping on the center of the dash about halfway between the vent and the windshield. I heard it through the vent by tapping in that area. If you hear it rattle and can duplicate it, then you have the same rattle I had. Good luck! If any of you require more detail, let me know and I will call the dealer to find out about the material etc....but perhaps your dealers already know.

-cbx

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup...Mine was worse the longer the car sat in the sun. Hope this helps at least some of you. If you do have a squeak, you might investigate the area between the center console where the shifter is and where it meets the underside of the center dash console under the climate controls. I had a creaking/popping coming from there which I fixed with just a couple little pieces of rubber...car is virtually silent now.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
I have a rubbing creak from the passenger airbag cover area that drove me so crazy that I removed my passenger airbag cover to see if I can squelch it somehow. I will get to the bottom of that creak and I will prevail! :mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
S_Klass
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing