Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished (almost) my handsfree kit install. This is a Nokia CARK-91 car kit. I installed the microphone in the overhead console where the OE microphone would go. The control module nicely fits behind the Climatronic control panel under the radio. I do not yet have an antenna, so I removed the antenna feature from the car kit until I decide my antenna options. The kit will mute the radio and display "PHONE" on the radio LCD. I do not know if you can use the radio for the speaker since I do not yet have the connector and pins to try. If I figure it out, I will let everyone know.

For those who just want the final product, here it is...

If you want to see some details, keep reading.

Here is microphone in the overhead W8 style. I had to remove the mic from its housing and break off some of the plastic clips on the panel to get it to fit. I used the foam that was in the mic location to wedge the mic in place. No glue or anything.

I ran the wire down the A Pillar just like the W8 dome light install. You can see the yellow wire from the W8 install and a black wire which is the mic.

Since I wanted a left hand installation I couldn't just buy a mount. I made a copy of what Panavise and others sell. It mounts in the same way using the Climatronic fasteners, so no pictures.

Here is my first prototype. I found that it left the phone too upright and too close to the dash to get to the buttons behind.

Here is the final bracket. I also made the bracket taller to keep it off my knee. I used gas grill paint because I had it around the house. Its a flat paint paint to keep down glare. It is also baked on, so it will probably be durable.

Here is the drivers eye view of the install. Not too bad.

Edited for spelling...

<![CDATA[I just finished (almost) my handsfree kit install. This is a Nokia CARK-91 car kit. I installed the microphone in the overhead console where the OE microphone would go. The control module nicely fits behind the Climatronic control panel under the radio. I do not yet have an antenna, so I removed the antenna feature from the car kit until I decide my antenna options. The kit will mute the radio and display "PHONE" on the radio LCD. I do not know if you can use the radio for the speaker since I do not yet have the connector and pins to try. If I figure it out, I will let everyone know.

For those who just want the final product, here it is...

If you want to see some details, keep reading.

Here is microphone in the overhead W8 style. I had to remove the mic from its housing and break off some of the plastic clips on the panel to get it to fit. I used the foam that was in the mic location to wedge the mic in place. No glue or anything.

I ran the wire down the A Pillar just like the W8 dome light install. You can see the yellow wire from the W8 install and a black wire which is the mic.

Since I wanted a left hand installation I couldn't just buy a mount. I made a copy of what Panavise and others sell. It mounts in the same way using the Climatronic fasteners, so no pictures.

Here is my first prototype. I found that it left the phone too upright and too close to the dash to get to the buttons behind.

Here is the final bracket. I also made the bracket taller to keep it off my knee. I used gas grill paint because I had it around the house. Its a flat paint paint to keep down glare. It is also baked on, so it will probably be durable.

Here is the drivers eye view of the install. Not too bad.

Edited for spelling...

[Modified by Mr_Mike, 9:55 AM 1/26/2003]

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: Cellular install 2003 Sedan (Mr_Mike)

Where did you get this handfree kit? I would like to install a handfree kit for my new A4 in Hongkong, but I can't find any suitable kit for my car's console. Any kit fit for Nokia 8 series?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Re: Cellular install 2003 Sedan (kkau)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Since I wanted a left hand installation I couldn't just buy a mount. I made a copy of what Panavise and others sell. It mounts in the same way using the Climatronic fasteners, so no pictures.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Cellular install 2003 Sedan (kkau)

I don't know anything about the 8 series. This kit is for the older 51xx and 61xx series. I purchased mine from http://www.CellularAccessory.com because they had the best price with no shipping or taxes for California.

What I did was go to the Nokia site and look for the name and part number of the kit and then searched for the part number with Google to find a vendor with a good price.

Like I said in the post, the bracket is custom.

Don't know what to suggest to you living in HK.

Note: How much you want to bet the moderators move this to the electronics forum. I guess I should have put it there, put there is so little traffic.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Oh! Thanks! We can't use the cell.phone without thre handfree kit when we driving my car in HK due to the traffic law. But the HK dealer don't supply the handfree kit for my Nokia 8 series, so I only can use the earphone for my phone yet. And I hope to get a suitable handfree kit for my car.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Gee...I feel sticky.

I feel a Info post coming on.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Why didn´t you mount your phone like this:

Like that you can access all Passat switches...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Cellular install 2003 Sedan (patrikb)

First, no style points.

Second, the maximum temperature recorded here is 123 degrees F. We routinely have summer temperatures in the 110 to 115 range. I need all possible air conditioning available!

Third, like'll ever turn off ESP or need seat heaters.

Your wants/needs may be substantially different from mine.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Cellular install 2003 Sedan (adamsocb)

Wow, thats a spendy mount. How did you source your power? Also, what did you do for an antenna?

I just got my Hirshmann Slim Mount patch antenna. I'll get around to installing it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

Very nicely done.. I always enjoy tasteful mods, especially ones with a REAL purpose. Oh, by the way, love the grey leather...

-alex

·
Registered
15 Posts

I like what you did with the mic--I might do the same- do you have any complaints with people on the other end of your phone calls-is the mic muffled by the foam?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Cellular install 2003 Sedan (CapeCodVariant)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I like what you did with the mic--I might do the same- do you have any complaints with people on the other end of your phone calls-is the mic muffled by the foam?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so far. The mic is under the foam. From the speakers perspective, the mic is in front of, not behind the foam. The foam is very dense, not something you would use as a speaker grill for instance.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

For RL331...

Re-attaching the A-pillar.

To start this, you should recover all the pegs from the A-pillar and cover and make sure that the collars for these pegs are well seated in the A-pillar. For my car, half of these collars came out with the pegs and I had to separate them. Major PITA.

Wash your hands before playing with the A-pillar cover or you will get the fabric dirty.

Without any pegs in place, force the bottom of the cover into place. This requires a bit of flexing. Test fit the cover and make sure it mates with the headliner corectly. There is a plastic feature at the bottom of the cover that need to be correctly aligned or the bottom ofthe cover won't lay flush. Sorry, but I can't describe it any better.

Now, place the three pegs into the slots in the cover. Working from outside the car, looking through the windshield, you can see the pegs and their respective holes. Starting with the bottom hole, align the peg and push it in just a little. Continue with the remaining pegs. When all are started, just push them home. If the bottom of the cover is bulged out, you didn't align that bottom plastic feature correctly and you get to start over.

I hope this make sense.

·
Registered
893 Posts

ProClip cell phone mount... I actually had this one replaced with the one that plugs into the blank button (similar to the home made one above).

·
Registered
893 Posts
Re: Cellular install 2003 Sedan (lobich)

Actually.. i still have it (just the mounting bracket, not the part that holds the cellphone). A note though... the reason it was replaced was because the mount pictured above actually didn't properly fit right on 2001.5+ consols.

email me if you are still interested:
jamisATmostlyharmlessDOTorg

1 - 20 of 63 Posts