Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
you know, great cars as they were, but the Celica (except for cars like the All-Trac) was never the best in class - for all of Toyotas engineering. IMO, the Prelude was the best Japanese Inc. sports coupe.
Speaking of which, the Prelude is gone, the Eclipse has truned into a GT, the 240SX is gone - all of its competitors.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
TDIBUGMAN said:
you know, great cars as they were, but the Celica (except for cars like the All-Trac) was never the best in class - for all of Toyotas engineering. IMO, the Prelude was the best Japanese Inc. sports coupe.
Speaking of which, the Prelude is gone, the Eclipse has truned into a GT, the 240SX is gone - all of its competitors.
MX-6 has been gone for a little while now too which was a nice little car. Closer to home the Corrado never was replaced here at VW land either. And why bother when you think about it? Why think about the car enthuasist, when you can make a fistful of cash off soccer mom when she buys an overpriced SUV you know? Ah well.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I gathered, the Prelude was more "GT" than the Integra, weighing in 10-20% more than the Integra. The engines were also heavier, with extra displacement over the Integras. Anyways, being the absolute best was never a prerequisite for turning a profit. Its sad to see such cars go - the MR2 being a great bargain (aka a more comfortable Elise, for half the price, and an sequential gearbox), and the Celica having a 30+ year history.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Well, you could make a counterpoint from recent offerings from Japan include the 350z, rx8, s2000, evo, wrx, and rsx. Nissan promises that we are getting the next Skyline GT-R and there are rumors of a new Supra coming out from Toyota.

Sullie is right about SUVs though. It killed such great cars as the Supra, 3000GT, RX7, and 300ZX. Lets hope the dark age of SUVs is soon coming to an end.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i could care less about the celica. the one we got here in the states was mostly crap by comparison to honda's offerings.

however, seeing Mister Two go is a bit disappointing.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I think that in reality Toyota is just moving the Celica and MR2 to the Scion brand. The tC seems to fit the same market as the Celica and I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a convertible Scion.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I think the "status" symbol vehicles of the 90's were the Supra's, RX-7's, 3000GT VR4's, etc. and I think driving a 30k+ impractical sports car was the thing to do. Now the thing to do seems to be to drive a 50k+ impractical SUV.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I think Toyota really didn't give the mr2 a chance in the U.S. I get the impression that there was very little marketing and promo put towards that car. Even in the dealer lots, you seldom saw more than 1 or 2 mr-2's, and they usually had some dealer markup (prob because of the low supply).

The price for the MR2 wasn't unreasonable per say for the car. However, I think it fails to attract most consumers nowadays, b/c most enthusiasts buys these days look at HP & acceleration ratings, instead of the whole package (weight, handling, braking, etc). I think in that regards it couldn't compete with what competitors had to offer. Perhaps the MR2 would have done better had Toyota decide to upgrade the MR2 w/ a 180/190 hp GT-S motor.

As for the Celica, I could really care less. If I wanted a good fwd car, I'd get an older civic or a dc2 integra.

It's sad for toyota though, that after this they really won't have one interesting performance car in their lineup, just generic and boring SUV's, minivans, and camrys. Yeah, it makes money, but I think it will also make toyota's image kinda homley and turn away a good deal of potential buyers. It makes a lot more sense that Toyota presented the Scion brand, as gimmicky as it may seem.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
One of the main problems with the likes of the Mr2 and the Corrado is that the younger demographic that liked them couldn't afford to insure them. If I wasn't married when I bought my Corrado back in the early '90's, I wouldn't have been able to afford the insurance.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
It's kinda funny - the original MR2 was designed as an affordable commuter car. It was so "in-demand" that the prices skyrocketed, and then there was the insurance issue of a two-seater. "The best laid plans..." :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.