Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CEL came on and they were P0118 (Engine Coolant Temp), P1411 & P1423. I changed the engine coolant sensor which solved the car not starting with a hot engine, but all the codes are still there...two weeks after I did the work. The car starts fine now when hot...but the damn codes are still there. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
446 Posts
OK, so I take it that the CEL is off but like you said you still have the codes?

It will take a few driving cycles before these go away completely if you just want to let nature take it's course. The car is now treating them as temporary codes and will discard them when it is finally ready to believe that the problem is gone for good.

Those codes are not there because you still have the problem, but because the car is trying to keep a short-term record of the problem that you once had.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It takes 3 cycles (approx) 15 minutes for a code to go away if the problem is fixed. It will keep record of your codes and pending codes so you can hook up to VAG Com and get a read.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More clarification...

the CEL is still on, even after I did the work. I don't even know if the codes are related or not. It's been over 2 weeks since I did the sensor replacement, and I drive the car everyday, so I don't think it is still resetting itself. The #%[email protected]&* Emissions Workshop says hello to me within a minute of starting up the car. Help me!:icon_eek:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Now that we have established that you still have the CEL, you can search this forum on those codes you have remaining and I know you will find the answer to your problem. These codes have been covered in detail many times in the past. Areas to look at are going to be Kombi valves, tubing, SA pump.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is the easy way out...there is nothing that specifically says what is wrong. Since all 3 of these codes are showing, and that I just changed the coolant temp sensor two weeks ago...something is not making sense. That is why I need the help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jimbo...then help me find what has already been posted about my codes and replacing the temp coolant sensor. I can't find a thing about it...this entire situation doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just type P1423 in the search function way up at the top of the page and hit Go. You'll see posts by all the others who have had this problem and what was done to fix it.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
The search is your friend.

"They are for the Secondary air injection system. First is bank 1 flow too low, second is bank 2 flow to low. I would check the Secondary air pump and hoses from the pump to the Kombi valve."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The search is your friend.

"They are for the Secondary air injection system. First is bank 1 flow too low, second is bank 2 flow to low. I would check the Secondary air pump and hoses from the pump to the Kombi valve."
Got a good link to a diagram where the secondary air pump is located. What a pain in the a$$!

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
My recollection is that you recently did a timing belt job. If that is the case, I would check the front of the engine where piping comes up from the SAP. Could you have broken the plastic pipe? Did you reconnect the pipe properly?

Other things to check: Is there a vacuum leak? Check the vacuum hoses (or replace them with high temp silicone). Check the vacuum hose to the fronr of the intake manifold to make sure it is connected. If you cleaned your throttle, make sure the cruise vacuum is connected and the other vacuum port on the throttle body is connected properly

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wasn't the guy who did the timing belt change...but I have a feeling I will have to put up with this CEL and the Emissions Workshop alert because there is no clear answer on how to clear these codes. Maybe this is just the Volkswagon way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts