Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AAARGH!
On the way to work this morning, nice clear sky, the moon was shining bright, no traffic on the freeway and then bloop, on comes the CEL. :mad:
Still trying to sleuth out the airbag issue I've had for years. That's proving to be a royal PITA. W8 needs a clutch and now this. I can't win for losing.
I know I'm nobody special and other members have the same problems, but this really BLOWS. Why is it I own 4 Passat's now? :unsure:

Have a great day.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Keep your chin up man, you are special! Sorry about the CEL, my A4 has seven codes which resulted from my mistaking the post-cat O2 sensors for pre-cats, which I intended to change but didn't know were invisible below the cylinder heads. Cut the wrong sensor cables, because Audi tied all the O2 cables behind the engine where there is no access. Oh, well.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Does this mean three of the four have issues? If so, then you only have one more to go before you're 4-0.

If the CEL could be caused by seat air bags then I would say worry. Since there is a separate warning light for that, then maybe it will be something simple.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep your chin up man, you are special! Sorry about the CEL, my A4 has seven codes which resulted from my mistaking the post-cat O2 sensors for pre-cats, which I intended to change but didn't know were invisible below the cylinder heads. Cut the wrong sensor cables, because Audi tied all the O2 cables behind the engine where there is no access. Oh, well.
That is a bummer. I did something to that effect when I changed out my post O2 sensors on my '98 GLS last year. I cut the wires cause I was going to change out the sensors. If I'm changing the sensors why would I need the wires? Right?
Yeah well, those sensors were seized big time. Even used anti-seize on them at install back in 2013. Drove around for couple of weeks with dead O2 sensors and a CEL until I could torch them out.

Does this mean three of the four have issues? If so, then you only have one more to go before you're 4-0.

If the CEL could be caused by seat air bags then I would say worry. Since there is a separate warning light for that, then maybe it will be something simple.
Yes that's exactly what that means. Currently the wife's 03 GLX is the one that's behaving nicely. Well, now that I said that... 😬

Glutton for punishment?
Obviously. ;)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
"Misery loves company" Ha! Seriously I can say for a lot of forum members past and present, "THANKS" D. for owning the Passats, if it was not for your knowledge (and the other "regulars") and confidence you instill many would not even have a car to drive. The big question is ,and you better tell us ! What code did it throw and WHICH Passat were you in? Guessing it is the the " evap leak"

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Just as a sidebar and casual observation the only thing on the Passats that is built to last and never fails IS the CEL light/indicator, especially in light of the fact (no pun intended) that is comes on, it seems like ALL the time ! and at the most inopportune times

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
...the only thing on the Passats that is built to last and never fails IS the CEL light/indicator, especially in light of the fact (no pun intended) that is comes on, it seems like ALL the time ! and at the most inopportune times
That's actually a funny comment, I'll have to remember to borrow that sometime.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Misery loves company" Ha! Seriously I can say for a lot of forum members past and present, "THANKS" D. for owning the Passats, if it was not for your knowledge (and the other "regulars") and confidence you instill many would not even have a car to drive. The big question is ,and you better tell us ! What code did it throw and WHICH Passat were you in? Guessing it is the the " evap leak"
It was my '98 GLS 5sp daily driver.
I'll scan it tomorrow at work and see what ugliness comes out.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it was a coolant sensor related code. I cleared the code and it hadn't come back for whole trip home. Probably a sign of a flakey sensor. God thing they are cheap and easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts