Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yesterday i posted a topic asking about what is going on with my cel light.. its on all the time and when i start the car it beeps and i get Emmissions Workshop on the digital.. i just realized that when i first noticed it, it was very close to 32,000 miles.. something like 32,120.. and i had started it for the first time after driving 800 miles. Does the light come on for a 32k check?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
No, the light comes on because there is a problem that needs to be resolved. It will continue to come on until you fix the problem.

Have you pulled the codes yet to determine what is being thrown? How many miles do you have now? Did you recently fill up and not tighten the gas cap all the way (til it clicks)?

Have you checked your hoses for damage, slits, tears, disconnects. Check the clamps and make sure they are tight.

I would recommend looking into it sooner than later as if it is something bad you could cause other problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know what pulling the codes means.. i just drove it home from SC today which was another 800 miles after the CEL light came on.. it drove perfectly fine. i didnt do anything differently than normal. i think i will call the dealership tommorow but im just trying to see how much i should worry about this

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Well it could be as simple as the gas cap issue or more complex like a pressure leak somewhere.

You can run by AutoZone or PepBoys and get the codes pulled. Or as you stated head to the dealer. As long as teh CEL isn't flashing you should be okay, but I wouldn't push the car too hard until you know what's going on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well.... i went 115 for a stretch on the way home- my bad- im reading passed threads and found out about vag com and found someone near me so i sent him an email to see if he will help me out... 2 weeks ago i was in a gas station (full service) and got a fill.. i drove 200 miles and upon arrival i noticed the attendant never screwed it in at all! the CEL light didnt come on till about 1000 miles later or more.. could it still be related?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
could be, I'm suprised it didn;t come on sooner. In theory, if you go out and tighten the cap after so many starts or drives the ecu realizes the problem is solved and turns off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts